Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:03:22 AM

Author Topic: Re: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)  (Read 12424 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
I have not looked at the newest code but it sounds like you guys are doing great things. When I first implemented the extended I/O in the Galil plug-in I used a user program on the econo cards to poll the extended inputs and write them to the unused aux encoder registers. This allowed the extended inputs to be read regularly without the excessive delay of trying to poll them one at a time. Has this been carried throughly? I am getting ready to update my project that uses the Galil in the near future.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »
Jeff,

Your code is still there and it should still work.  I don't have one of those controllers to test it out though.  But if it doesn't work, then we'll get it working somehow.  When you get ready, we'll get you hooked up on CVS.

Steve

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:42:38 PM »
Have you guys considered upgrading to an SVN system? If not I'll install a CVS system on a separate box. I don't want to mix SVN and CVS on my main dev machines.

I'll grab the source in a few days and see how things go on my system. I need to get the Galil user program posted to so others can do a similar thing if needed.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:36:23 AM »
I'm happy to report that the Galil 2040 (USB) is working fine with the new V4.1 or later plugin. I have tested it using both contour mode and LI mode and while both work, I find that the LI mode is smoother.  ;D
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:40:58 AM »
The DMC-18x2 econo controllers not accepting binary is that a problem generating GCode with Mastercam X3 or VCrave Pro 5?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:49:59 AM »
When I read the complete specifications for both the DMC-18x2 and DMC-21x3 controllers, I read the follwing:

"Commands are sent in ASCII. A binary communication mode is also
available as a standard feature" infact it says the same for the Accelera boards too.

Why can't the DMC-18x2 be set for binary and avoid the slowness of it?

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:37:08 AM »
Robert,

The latest versions of the plugin will recognize your controller and use the appropriate communication mode. No worries. Just be sure to use the latest firmware for your board and the latest drivers from SmartTerm and you should have no problems wih communication speed. I have both boards here and they work fine with the new plugins.

If Mach is happy with your g-codes, the new plugins will be happy too.

Kenny
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »
Great news!

I have a chance to acquire a DMC-20x0 or a DMC-18x2, which would be better?

SmartTerm? Can you share a link for that please?

Robert

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 11:09:12 AM »
Robert,
Your choice will depend mostly on what tou can locate for an interconnect board. For the 2143 you can use an ICM-20100 which is relatively inexpensive even new. The 1842 will need an ICM-1900 which is pricier new, but probably more easily available used. The 1842 will also have analog inputs, which are nice, but not necessary for most people. My personal choice is the 21x3 series with a RIO connected via Modbus to handle extra I/O both digital and analog.
Kenny

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »
I like any of the remote controllers better.  Just easier to locate them as the Mach PC doesn't have to be as close to the machine.  The 20x0 USB controller works.  Kenny tested it.  I would get with the 20x0 because it comes standard with extended I/O if you wanted to make use of that.  PCI is going the way of ISA and pretty soon, the new motherboards won't even have a regular PCI slot.  My latest PC only has one PCI slot.  The rest are all PCI express.

But I'm with Kenny on the 21x3 series.  It's my favorite as well.  It's just a really nice package for doing what we want to do with them. 

Steve