Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Laser Control using Mach 3 and what driver board?  (Read 8643 times)

Laser Control using Mach 3 and what driver board?
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:19:27 PM »
 ???Hopefully someone in this forum knows the answer or can point me in the right direction.

I'm wanting to use a laser for engraving.  The power supply or laser driver module has TTL inputs that apparently will electronically modulate or change the amp level going to the laser.

1. On the Artsoft website it does mention the ability to control a laser but curious where that's located within the software and how it works?  Is anyone using this feature?
2. I've got a 3 Axis CNC setup right now on my router I plan to convert over to a laser engraver.  Is there something like a breakout board necessary to control a laser with TTL inputs via Mach2 / Mach3 or do I need to buy a new 3 axis driver board that is setup for additional outputs such as TTL?  Or is this completely seperate and it doesn't matter what 3 axis driver board I use?  And is there any recommendations on where to get this board (driver or breakout) / power supply / matching Nema 23 stepper motors if I do need to purchase a new board with TTL inputs / outputs?

Drum roll...  Anyone got some answers?   :o

ynneb

Re: Laser Control using Mach 3 and what driver board?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:24:41 AM »
Read this thread. This guy is using Mach to drive his laser setup.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7427&highlight=laser
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 06:16:12 PM »
I looked at the links and it appears a couple people are using Mach2 or Mach3 but there was no mention of how they are interfacing.  I probably need to find someone who's actively using Mach2 or Mach3 with a laser.  Worse case if I don't get any addt'l replies I'll post on the other site you provided.  Thanks!!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 07:44:10 PM »
I will be making a laser engraver also in a while,  I think it is controled like a plasma from Mach, thats as far as I read up on it.
Re: Laser Control using Spindle Controls
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 03:49:35 PM »
I decided to go to the source and asked Art directly.  He said most people were using the spindle speed control to send a pulse to the laser.  I guess as you increase the speed of the spindle it will tell the laser to amp up or down. 

Now has anyone used Mach2 or Mach3 to control the spindle?  Does it require a breakout board and how would this connect to the actual computer itself or would it connect via a LPT1 connection?