Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:51:59 PM

Author Topic: Help with lazy cam and solidworks  (Read 7048 times)

Help with lazy cam and solidworks
« on: June 11, 2009, 02:06:32 PM »
Hello folks
 I'm new to this so its probably something I didn't understand. I draw most of my cad in Solidworks 2009. I save the file as a DXF, import it into lazycam, then attempt to post the g-code to Mach 3. Problems are 1. the piece does not show any depth, I'm making a Tee nut for my first project. I've designed it to be 14mm wide,15mm long and 16mm tall.
 2. when I look at the G-Code it puts some wild coordinate moves, for example the X axis should move 15mm, but the code tells it to go 30.00? HELP PLEASE? ???

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Help with lazy cam and solidworks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »
Hi, Bell 430

Post your dxf.

Chip
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »
Here you go, I have several others of the same piece, just diffrent views.
Thanks

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »
Hi, Bell 430

Your dxf has way to much info in it, You need to just draw what you want to cut out.
Hears a quick dxf & G code file and a couple of screen shot's that may give you some idea's as to what I mean.
LazyCam is very basic cam tool and quite powerful in many way's and it takes time to figure out a good approach for any job you want to do.
Keep asking question's as needed.

Chip
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:36:34 AM »
Chip
 thanks! I need to find out what I have to do to import solidworks DXF to lazycam. I work for the ARMY research lab, and I need to cut small parts on a taig CNC mill, the software was recommended by the person who used to be in this job, but he's gone now and I'm trying to figure it out.
 Thanks again for the help
Brian

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:12:11 AM »
Hi, Brian

Solidworks should have a plug-in or Post for posting to Mach3, Then you wouldn't need to use LazyCam.

Haven't ever used it though.

Chip
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »
Chip
 Thanks again, I'll probably be on here frequently, as I said I just setup a taig mill and am trying to learn how to use mach 3 and lazycam
Thanks again
Brian

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 02:35:03 PM »
Hmmmm, I'm not sure I've ever heard of using SW for G-code creation. Solidcam or Mastercam inside solidworks maybe, but not SW alone. If you run across something Chip, let us know more about it.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
Feature cam will generate G-Code I just found out.