Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:43:17 AM

Author Topic: Tormach OEM version  (Read 8297 times)

Tormach OEM version
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »

Can I get an upgrade from the Tormach OEM version? If not, is there a discount? Thanks,

BH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Tormach OEM version
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:14:05 PM »
You would be doing away with your waranty if going to standard Mach but if that doesnt bother you then it may be that you licence will be fine for it. Download the latest lockdown and install on another computer if you have one then copy over the MachLic.dat from your Tormach and see if when you open Mach it says it is licenced, you will see that from the Help menu then About Mach3.........

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
Just talked to Scott and the Tormach licence is valid for normal Mach so you can upgrade if you wish. However as was said before your warranty with Tormach will probably be no longer valid, certainly with regards to support from them.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »

Thanks.

I would hope that changing software would not invalidate the warranty on the mechanics, but in any case, I did not read that in the docs, and I won't go looking.

BH
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:01:24 PM »
Hi,
As I understand it, the issue of voiding the warranty is that the Tormach OEM version has been fully tested and has been configured to suit the machine.

If you use the latest development version of Mach and have a runaway situation that damages the machine, Tormach do not want to be responsible for any damage caused to the machine.

Seems fair enough to me.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks.

I would hope that changing software would not invalidate the warranty on the mechanics, but in any case, I did not read that in the docs, and I won't go looking.

BH

----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »
Hello. I understand, since I'm on the other side of the support equation, also. But the damage from a misconfig should be about limited to electrical, if even, since there is not much that a misconfigured system can do more than a miscommanded system.

BH

Hi,
As I understand it, the issue of voiding the warranty is that the Tormach OEM version has been fully tested and has been configured to suit the machine.

If you use the latest development version of Mach and have a runaway situation that damages the machine, Tormach do not want to be responsible for any damage caused to the machine.

Seems fair enough to me.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks.

BH

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
Hi,

I think that there is quite a difference. If an operator enters GCode that drives a Milling bit through the table, then one cannot claim a warranty repair.

If I had a Tormach, and I powered it up and the machine immediately drove the milling bit into the table I'd be wanting a repar under warranty.

Yes, the damage is the same in either case, but one is caused by faulty software, i.e. Warranty.

BTW, I haven't read the warranty agreement so don't know what it covers. :)

Cheers,

Peter.
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »
I'm not sure what is to be gained in deviating from the Tormach-specific version of Mach.  John P. has optimized it for the Tormach's configuration, electronics and performance enevelope, and is staying on top of developments.

Tormach, with a waiver of responsibility, will give you the "keys" to unlock the Mach installation.  I've had my machine since fall of 2006, and the sum total of what I've changed is modifying the homing routine from Z-Y-X to Z-X-Y.  I had my reasons. :)

Randy
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 12:02:34 AM »

Thanks for the input.

I have been using the latest version (3something) for a custom X-Y table, and it has more (important) features than the 2something version that comes with the Tormach machine.

I would not want to use the generic version if the Tormach OEM was somewhat up to date. I'm in a holding pattern right now, but moving to the the generic Mach3 is a definite maybe.

It may be possible that I don't know how to get the Tormach updates.

BH
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 01:17:48 AM »
BH, Tormach upgraded to Mach3 in April 2007.  The current Tormach version (PCNC3Rel1.9u.exe) for my older "Series I" machine with old-school VFD shows as Rev 2.42, at least .  I don't know what rev the latest Series II version is.  EDIT: I imagine it's the same since all the versions were released on the same day...

Go go http://www.tormach.com/documents.html, expand CAD, CAM, & Machine Software in the Downloads section, and you can download the current version for your machine.  You should be able to install it over your old version, and your existing license will work with the new verison.

FURTHER EDIT:  Aaah, it occurs to me that when you say 3something you might be talking about Mach3 Rev3.xx... In that case, "Never Mind".  ::)

What features does 3.xx have that the 2.42 doesn't, that are applicable to the Tormach?

Randy
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:03:55 AM by zephyr9900 »