Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 08:23:34 AM

Author Topic: Lazy Cam tool offsets. Do I need Lazy Cam Pro?  (Read 6804 times)

Lazy Cam tool offsets. Do I need Lazy Cam Pro?
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »
I can't seem to get the tool offsets to work in the free version of Lazy Cam. I did some searching but the answer is still not clear. Does anyone know for sure that the tool offset function does not work in the free L Cam but does work in the pro?

Thanks
Dave
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:25:56 AM by arizonavideo »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Cam tool offsets. Do I need Lazy Cam Pro?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:30:02 AM »
If you look at the downloads you will see the following for LazyCam"

"However, there is an optional PRO level upgrade that turns on advanced features such as object offsetting, pocketing, primary foam functions, importation of DXF profiles for conversion to Lathe turning code, etc.  It is optional, but gives one the ability to do more advanced importation of objects."

RICH
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:52:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know that "object offsetting" was the same as tool offset. I did do a search for tool offsets.

So it looks like the free L-Cam wont do a standard tool offset so my choice is to draw the work over or under sized to cut a round hole. I do have the wizard pack add on but we want to make a pattern to cut 10 or 20 repeating hole pattering in plastic boxes and it might take some adjusting to get the holes in just the right place and I don't see an easy way to edit a wizard file without a cam program. I don't know any G code yet, I'm just starting out.

They stopped development of L-Cam because of "some other low cost cam software". Was that CamBam?

I grabbed the demo and there is a beta release that looks to work OK. I would rather spend $75.00 for L-Cam but it would be nice if it was still supported. I'm learning everything for the first time and I would like to stay with the same cam software for a year or two. If I run into a bug with L Cam It will never be fixed.

Thanks
Dave

Offline astr

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »
I purchased the Pro version and offsets only work sporadically.  LazyCam Pro has been one of the biggest time wasters on this whole project.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »
Dave,
Yes there are other programs out there and priced such that they should be considered. You should look at them and only you can decide.
Do you have a CNC lathe or expect to have one? What program out there is going to give you a basic lathe and mill program for $75? ANSWER: it dosen't exist!

If you actaully read manual, try the tutorials, look at the known bugs page, you will be equiped to most of what you want to do. If your in buisness, then you shouldn't even be considering LC.
Most users just don't understand that LC is an importer of a drawing and is not a drawing program.  
You need to invest some time in the selection of what software you want to use. I will say that you can't go wrong for the money.

That said, I respect your opinion astr, but disagree with it.  ;)
RICH

Offline astr

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 12:54:18 PM »
...That said, I respect your opinion astr, but disagree with it.  ;)
RICH
I keep hoping that the LC quirks will be resolved but keeping tripping over stuff that is very frustrating and I don't have the time to figure out a work around.  For example, I wanted to cut out a relatively simple shape that I import as a dxf file.  Using the offset feature and a 0.25" diameter end mill, LC will not generate a tool path.  If I redefine the diameter of the end mill to be 0.2495" or 0.2505" it works.  Set it back to 0.2500 and again it fails.  This is only my most recent experience. 

As a toy, LC can be fun to play with.  As a tool that only works only while standing on one leg and when Mercury aligns with Mars, is not very productive.