Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 10:20:18 AM

Author Topic: Smootstepper doesn't support backlash compensation??  (Read 6452 times)

Offline c+c

•  17 17
    • View Profile
Smootstepper doesn't support backlash compensation??
« on: June 08, 2009, 03:13:33 AM »
I have a backlash problem on my Mill.
Off course I will try to solve that mechanically. But if not possible I will need to do it in software.
Mach3 supports backlash compensation, but SmootStepper doesn't ???????

I read posts saying that it will be added soon and these posts are very old.
So when is it expected?

I really would like to know to be able to make a good decision (keep SS and wait or switch to something other).

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Smootstepper doesn't support backlash compensation??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:20:30 AM »
The last word by Greg on backlash comp is that Mach will be changing how backlash comp is applied. Currently Mach does backlash comp in the LPT driver itself rather than in the trajectory planner. This means that it is very easy to get the comp settings wrong and try and go too fast while the machine is trying to apply that comp. Mach will be moving this into the trajectory planner, where it belongs, in the near future so it 'should' work on any motion control device.

However the big question is will software backlash comp help? If your doing engraving or very light cuts then you could see some benefit. The problem with trying to do backlash comp on a mill is that the cutting forces will push the table around if there is any backlash. (This even happens on manual mills.) Here is a good explanation of backlash comp: http://liutaiomottola.com/Tools/Backlash.htm .
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:38:03 AM »
C+C,
I have waited for ss backlash compensation for over a year. I am sure it will get done eventualy.
Maybe this year sometime, but that is only a guess. Who knows. If you can use the PP then you have an option.
RICH

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »
Will we be able to see in the "change history TXT file" of mach if the baclkash comp. is moved to the traj. planner?