Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:49:16 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and DSPMC motion controller questions!  (Read 3418 times)

Mach 3 and DSPMC motion controller questions!
« on: June 03, 2009, 10:42:17 AM »
Hello.

I wounder how the communication betwenne the computer and the DSPMC motion controller from vital systems work?
Is the communication over ethernet or still thrue the parallelport?

Does any one know how high accuracy this system can give me on an 4 axis milling machine?

Is this sytem as good as an smooth stepper?
Can this sytem also give me the high speed and still have very high accuracy?

And also will i need any breakoutbord if i use the DSPMC controller or can i use the inputs and outputs on the controller?

Best Regards
Oscar Larsson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 and DSPMC motion controller questions!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
The DSPMC I believe is USB like the SmoothStepper and uses a plugin to communicate with Mach.
 It will be as accurate as your machine/motor/drives.

It is a different animal from the SmoothStepper, they both do similar things in that they are motion controllers but the SmoothStepper connect to Step/Dir drives and the DSPMC connects to Analogue Drives

I believe the DSPMC has breakout boards specifically for it.

Hood

Edit
 My mistake, just looked at DSPMC and it is Ethernet, same still holds true however as it talks to Mach via a plugin.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 11:10:08 AM by Hood »
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »
The DSPMC I believe is USB like the SmoothStepper and uses a plugin to communicate with Mach.
 It will be as accurate as your machine/motor/drives.

It is a different animal from the SmoothStepper, they both do similar things in that they are motion controllers but the SmoothStepper connect to Step/Dir drives and the DSPMC connects to Analogue Drives

I believe the DSPMC has breakout boards specifically for it.

Hood

Edit
 My mistake, just looked at DSPMC and it is Ethernet, same still holds true however as it talks to Mach via a plugin.

Ok.

So if it use ethernet it would faster than the ordinary paralleport speed to the drives?

Do you know also if this supports spindle motor so i can use one channel for spindle motor?
And also do you know if this supports the choice to make the compensation for the mechanical problems in the machine because the smooth stepper doesent this yet right?

Best Regards
Oscar Larsson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »
Ok.

So if it use ethernet it would faster than the ordinary paralleport speed to the drives?

Do you know also if this supports spindle motor so i can use one channel for spindle motor?
And also do you know if this supports the choice to make the compensation for the mechanical problems in the machine because the smooth stepper doesent this yet right?

Best Regards
Oscar Larsson

It depends what you mean by faster, if you are meaning pulse frequency then yes it is faster, the SmoothStepper is 4MHz max and I believe the DSPMC is 2MHz, both probably more than you will need.
 I dont know for certain but I would say it has to support spindle control or it would not be much use as a motion controller.
Afraid I dont know if it supports backlash compensation.
I seem to recall you have industrial type servo drives, if so then the chances are they support analogue input but if they dont then you wont be able to use the DSPMC.
Hood