Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:09:46 PM

Author Topic: Setting up a second parallel port card - NetMOS Nm 9805CV  (Read 13433 times)

Setting up a second parallel port card - NetMOS Nm 9805CV
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:19:05 PM »
Hi All,

I'm having trouble setting up my second parallel port card. It is a StarTech PCI1P_LP
Mach3 wont work with it at all, there is no signal to the charge pump on it and im dead in the water.  I have Two gecko 540s. One is working great, its plugged into the onboard port. The other I cannot seem to get running.

I searched and searched, installed the drivers from the netmos site, tripple checked my base adresses etc.. 

What can I do?  Is there a known working card I can buy?  I dont care if it costs over 100$, I need something that works.

Al

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a second parallel port card - NetMOS Nm 9805CV
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »
I posted a card that work with Mach a little while back including info on drivers, etc.

Just look back for the obvious thread title.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:20:40 PM »
I spent an entire day troubleshooting the card. I'm convinced its a bug in Mach3 that does not let it adress high port numbers.

I replaced it with a 15$ ITE 887x chipset card  and had it working in 3 minutes.  

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:38:49 PM by avongil »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:43:34 AM »
What was the address of the card?
Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:04:57 AM »
I spent an entire day troubleshooting the card. I'm convinced its a bug in Mach3 that does not let it adress high port numbers.

I replaced it with a 15$ ITT chipset card  and had it working in 3 minutes. 

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, some of these parallel port cards are not actual "Legacy" type cards and are more like special adapters and need special drivers to work, not the legacy drivers to use for a standard parallel port.

Did the Startech card have it's own drivers that you had to use?

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:44:52 AM »
I searched and searched, installed the drivers from the netmos site, tripple checked my base adresses etc..  

What can I do?  Is there a known working card I can buy? I dont care if it costs over 100$, I need something that works.

If you have to install drivers, like you mentioned above, then the card will not work. Having to install drivers means that the card is emulating a parallel port for printing purposes. There is no direct set of ports for Mach to talk to. It seems that finding a compatible PCI parallel port can can be a hit or miss proposition. I do recall seeing a few posts where folks have mentioned cards that worked for them. It might be worth a search.

I recommend folks skip the hassle and use a SmoothStepper. It does 99% of everything the LPT driver does and does it faster and smoother, and has two full ports built in. I've not sold one yet and had a customer disappointed with it.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:43:33 AM »
The Rosewill card I am using has a driver associated with the chipset. Interestignly, the driver that came with the card does not work with MACH, but the driver from the chipest manuf site (MOSchip or something like that) works fine.

I posted that the physical port on the card was the second port and that the pigtail port was the first com port, but I have since learned that it is actually random. Either can be either, so you have to just try both addresses and see which one works.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:51:28 AM »
The ITT 877  card has a driver that i used. It works great.

The port number on the netmos card was something like EC8F. 
Both cards on the packaging claim they are legacy cards.

I don't buy the driver answer. All cards have drivers, some are just pre-loaded into windows Xp..

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »
Some cards do not have the same HW layout as legacy parallel ports. Their drivers create a virtual parallel port, much like a USB to parallel adapter. These types of cards will not work just like the USB to parallel adapters won't work.

You can choose to not believe it if you wish, but that information is direct from the guy who wrote Mach's parallel port driver. I suspect he would know.  ;)
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 12:38:06 PM »
Both cards on the packaging claim they are legacy cards.

They can "say" whatever they'd like you to believe but they only "look" legacy.  8)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)