Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:52:37 AM

Author Topic: Denford Orac problem  (Read 29013 times)

Re: Denford Orac problem
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2006, 04:48:24 AM »
John - as a thought, have you tried reducing the lookahead buffer size? I'm not sure whether this will make a difference but may be worth a try!

Cheers

Dave
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 05:27:13 PM »
Hi Dave, Sorry for the long time between posts. Great comment, This was the last thing I thought of, I reduced the lookahead buffer which reduced the delay a little but still having the problem.

I finally got my cpu and heatsink for the upgrade.  The problem upgrading began with the size of the computer. It's a small form factor desktop Compaq EN which resides in the box space under the lathe and because it fits so nicely I would have had problems to find a newer computer to fit. I decided to upgrade the existing 733Mhz processor, relying on Ebay and alot of info hunting I found I could upgrade to 1400Mhz Tualatin cpu providing I had a converter socket for the differing voltages.

Well I ended up buying a 1266Mhz chip, big difference pricewise £20 or £60 for the 1400. Waited for the converter to arrive from Hong Kong and planned what I'd be doing before everything arrived, I'll upgrade the bios before doing anything else to it.

The next problem once the bits arrived was finding that once all the parts were assembled the heatsink was a tad too tall as the hard drive has to fold back down over the cpu to get the lid back on.

I trimmed the heatsink with the trusty linisher and mounted the fan on the side. I crossed fingers and switched on, Success! Booted first time and once convinced the heatsink was doing it's job I fitted the machine back into the Orac.

Once into Mach3 I took advantage of the highest kernel setting without a crash and setup a program to run.

I found immediately that the 'end chatter' problem I had miraculously disappeared completely and the delay between G1 then a G0 command is hardly noticeable.

I guess the moral of this is,
Just because you can load Mach3 on a slower computer than recommended, It isn't necessarily a good thing!

Many thanks for all your advice and I hope this post will be helpful to others

Kind Regards
John
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 02:58:34 AM »
Hi John

Good to hear that you've got it sorted. It's an interesting problem as you must have been somewhere in a 'grey' zone where you didn't lose steps but were running below optimal. With the Kernel speed I think Art suggests not to run it any faster than you need.

Cheers and well done

Dave
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 10:06:07 AM »
Hi Marcel I notice from your post you have a plan for the Toolchanger for the Orac as I have been unable to pick up the Genuine tool changer I was wondering if I should set about and Fab one Drawings would greatly help if the offer is open to others .

Regards Mike
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 11:47:04 PM »
here it is
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 12:44:43 PM »
Hi,  Is there anyone out there who uses a Denford Orac with a toolchanger fitted. I have a tool vibration (chatter) problem and all attempts to sort it have failed.

I've been a (hand) machinist for some years but being new to CnC causes it's own problems as well but all the different speeds and feeds i've tried fail to stop it.
Hi CJ,
I would be grateful if you could share your schematic hook up of your Orac. Its much the same as my Starturn 5 and I would like details of home and limit, encoder output from the spindle and of course the hookup for the toolchanger.
Van you help?
Thanks
I've checked head bearings, tightened gib screws, toolchanger bearings, tool height etc,,

I'm using a TPUN (triangle) type insert tool and when cutting down a shoulder on a bar, the tip cuts fine until it gets to the end of cut and sets in heavy chatter.

I've tried other insert tools and the same problem occurs.

If anyone would like to add their words of wisdom it would be gladly appreciated.

Many Thanks..

One step at a time!
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »
if you want plans for the orac toolchanger i can send then to you

marcel
Hi Marcel,

I have the Denford Starturn 5. I think it's the same toolchanger as the Orac. Can you tell me how you hook it up to MAch3. I use a CNC4PC breakout board.

Thanks

George
One step at a time!
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »
I'm sorry if multiple messages are coming in covering the same request. I haven't got the hang of posting yet.

I'm desperate for help with my Starturn5.
It works with it's original LCB3 controller.

I would like detailed info on the hookup of the Limit switches for X & Z axis. Also if anyone has succeded in getting the auto tool turret changer woking I woul like to have some hookup shematics.

The Denford forum is great and the guys are very helpful but I'm finding it a bit of a jungle right now with so much conflicting information.

I'm using MACH3 with a CNC4PC C11 board on my flatbed 3 axis router and would like to use the same electronics.

Any help at all would be most welcome.

Kind regards to all

George
One step at a time!