Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 01:37:54 PM

Author Topic: Control box shielding options - transparency possible?  (Read 2745 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Control box shielding options - transparency possible?
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »
My setup is sensitive to any noise so my solution was simply to eliminate the wireless interference makers including Xbox controller, network and keyboard. I also completely reworked the grounding of eveything in the setup.

My control box with a CNC4PC BOB and 4 Gecko Drives is aluminum and hangs on the wall behind and off to the side of the mill. I have a clear plastic cover on the box so that I can observe the many indicator lights on the devices inside. I suspect the polycarbonate plastic is useless as shielding.

Is there any way to shield while still being able to see the internals? I was thinking a metal screen like aluminum window screening might provide some shielding and I could probably see thru that well enought to see the fault indicators, etc.

Another though I had was the sunscreen film for windows. I recall reading that this material is a metal coating on mylar or something like that. If that is a metallic coating, then perhaps that would provide shielding.

Any thoughts on this?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Control box shielding options - transparency possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »
I would try the metallic screen material, it would basically be the same as a Faraday cage. It won't let through any RF with a wavelength greater then the mesh hole size. You just need to get a good electrical 'seal' around the lids perhiphery.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt