Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:17:08 AM

Author Topic: First Post - Help with setup issue?  (Read 12040 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: First Post - Help with setup issue?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
I fooled with backlash for hours. Nothing i can explain will give that experience.

I hear you. I only played with it long enough to determine that although it has a comp speed setting, that setting is ignored. Actually I'm not too keen on the whole concept of backlash compensation, so it was never a big deal for me anyway, I just commented on what I found when I played with it.

Frankly, I'm more and more impressed with Mach the more I dig into the macro capability, and I haven't even touched on the brain facility yet. Mach looks to me like a WIP and it doesn't cost $5,000 so in my opinion, it is an impressive piece of work all things considered.

I was not impressed with the single index threading as I could not see how it would ever work and I said so on the forum and quickly found that pointing out Machs shortcomings is not popular around here  ;)  However, now there is quite an effort going on to improve threading with many counts per rev, so I was obviously not alone in my assessment.   The CV has some issues, the tool comp is a bit bizarre and as we discussed, the backlash comp is out to lunch basically.

In the plus column is that these issues (at least those important to me) are being worked over for the new version of Mach which is very exciting.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: First Post - Help with setup issue?
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »
Brian will be looking at the backlash code once Turn and Plasma have been done and that is after mill has been done ;)
Hood

Sounds reasonable to me . . .  compensating for backlash in software, in my opinion anyway, should not be a high priority item, considering there are much better ways to eat that particular elephant.