Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 07:45:12 AM

Author Topic: motion test on the horizon...  (Read 6905 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
motion test on the horizon...
« on: May 25, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Hey folks, time to show progress. I've finished with the control box.  I've wired it for 6 axis, even though I'll only have 5 axis for the first year about.  I'm almost ready for a motion test.  I've just got to prepare my PC for that.  I can't wait to see this stuff moving.  The frame parts get delivered next weekend too.

Barry

Re: motion test on the horizon...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
That is sweet looking.  I wont the same set up as your electronics.  How about a parts list and supplier.  Looks darn nice!

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »
Thanks, sure, I'lll list the parts when completely done.  I'm sure there's going to be things that pop up that I was unsure of.  This is the first cnc machine I've built, so it's been a journey.

In the meantime, I'm using the smooth stepper USB since my computers don't have parallel ports.  I opted for the dual breakout board for convenience, also that's not necessary.  Then using gecko drives of course.  I've got 203v's for 4 axis and 201's for the other two.  I was going to get all 203v's, but the b/c head needed the 201's.  Those are the main parts.  When the whole thing is working IN the frame, I'll post the contruction BOM.

Barry
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »
The USB smooth stepper, where did you get that?  What are the difference in the 203's and the 201's.  I guess I could stop being lazy and read up on them on the Gecko web site.  How about power.  Now I'll bug you more than you will like but that is a really nice and clean set up.

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
The Smooth Stepper is available from a variety of sites.  It's made by Warp9.  The 203's are a bit more advanced than the 201's in that they have lots of failsafes.  The "V" is for "Vampire" meaning "unkillable".  That's what got me to get those drives.  However, the b/c drive I'm using can't use standby current let off.  It needs full current even in standby, so that's why I had to use 201's.  The power supply is a 975W, 15A system, really way too much for what I need;)

I don't mind sharing, none of this stuff is proprietary, just takes research.  There are a lot of good websites out there for CNC parts.  For general electronics parts, I'd walk your local electronic stores.  Act the complete idiot and get help and advice on everything.  I spent hours at my store, and I'm sure they thought I was a moron, but I don't mind the hand holding when out of my element;)

Barry
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »
I think I found the Smooth Stepper at http://www.warp9td.com  I'm still building the CNC machine with 5 axis so it's nice to get the electronics and motors all working together before installing them.  Thanks Barry.  Where are you located?

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:13:38 PM »
Yup, that's the maker of the smooth stepper.  I'm in Orange Couty, Cali.  Yeah, you can get a lot accomplished getting the electronics in order.  However, I understand how people would want to do the electronics last, as your warranties are probably expiring by the time you get the frame built;)

Barry
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »
I have found, that if the electronics are going to fail it'll be when you first fire things up or within the first few hours of running, so you can figure if it's goig to fry it'll happen soon.  May as well get that part of the problem out of the way quickly and then move on.  ;)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Success!  All six axis, plus the e-stop are functioning.  I had a bit of trouble with some wiring, but was able to get through it.  The manuals on this stuff needs work, so it was a bit of trial and error.

Barry

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »
Very neat Barry - I wish my wiring was that tidy.

Tweakie.
PEACE