Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:43:08 AM

Author Topic: Video of my milling process - need advice on improving efficiency  (Read 20133 times)

Hello fellow members,
I run a tiny company part time that makes small aluminum parts for a rather niche market. I have sold over 600 units of our first product and have since developed 2 additional products (this handle is one of them) that I expect to be even more popular- and profitable. I’ve created a video documenting my production process for a cam style quick release handle to show, in detail, the steps I take to make these parts.
I’ve made over 100 of these parts but it took me nearly 6 weeks to do it. Actually, it’s not as bad as it seems. I have Fridays off from my real job so that is my day to work in the shop. I also spent many additional hours working on them during the weekends when the kids will allow (two girls, ages 2 and 5).
My problem is this… it takes far too long to make these parts and there is far too much labor involved! I’m looking for advice on cutting these parts out in such a way that tooling marks are kept to a minimum and cutting speed is at its maximum. Obviously there is only so much that my little Taig CNC mill can handle and perhaps I am already getting all I can out of it. Hopefully those who are more experienced in the world of machining can make some suggestions to a young pup like me that will increase the efficiency of milling these parts.
I’m also not opposed to moving into a bigger machine. I’ve been researching a 3 axis full servo drive turnkey CNC Mill by IH CNC & Machinery (http://www.ihcnc.com/pages/cnc-mill.php) and it seems like an impressive machine. This is a huge step up from what I have and, if it’s necessary, I can justify the nearly $12k investment. In the meantime though, I’m looking for shortcuts, tricks, and improved techniques to make my life easier. Heaven forbid these new products take off once I begin advertising them and I’m unable to keep up with demand because I didn’t tool up correctly or was doing things the hard way because of my inexperience.
I’ve only been at this for about 6 months so don’t beat me up too badly, but everyone’s advice, as well as criticism, is welcome.
Thanks,
-Aaron  :D

View the video here:
http://gaugerfamily.com/cnc/milling_handle6.htm

...or if you're not using IE, try this instead:
http://gaugerfamily.com/cnc/milling_handle6.html
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:18:05 PM by agauger »
Re: Video of my milling process - need advice on improving efficiency
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »
I cant view your video. I'm using Firefox.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »
Changed the file suffix on my web server to .html.
You've got to love Microsoft for making IE the only browser that understands .htm files.

Try this: http://gaugerfamily.com/cnc/milling_handle6.html
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »
Now it plays in Firefox :-)

I do NOT love Microsoft!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:09:42 PM »
Hello Aaron

You have done everything by the book, the only thing left is a more powerful milling.

Nice video

Marcel beaudry

Offline allyd

•  24 24
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
Looks good, I assume you are using solid carbide cutters. I hope things take off for you, might enable you to reinvest into a faster and stronger machine.

Good luck and well done

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 08:27:23 PM »
um left of centre.. as is my want from time to time..

why not mount your aluminium onto a Chellac base, then cut all the way thru in one pass. you would need liquid coolant to make sure shellac does not loose adhesion but would save you lots of work. on larger work i would not reccomend this but in your case i think will work great.

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:03:45 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

hard as hell.. sticks like mad and and cleans off easily in a bath of luke warm metholated spirits...

above link is for natural shellac but buy synthetic type anywhere..

simply lay down 5mm thick layer, warm your piece so that it will melt top of shellac and let it cool
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:08:14 PM by Chris.Botha »
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:13:23 PM »
why not mount your aluminium onto a Chellac base...
Awesom idea. I'll look into this more. I've never heard of this solution- seems sound thought.
Thanks!

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:43:23 PM »
jewellers, diamonds setters  and diamond cutters have been using it for years to hold "difficult" things down while we do abrasive work on it.