Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:55:58 PM

Author Topic: Motors willl not move  (Read 6783 times)

Motors willl not move
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »
I cannot get movement out of my motors.  At one point, they worked.  Started the backlash adjustments (bad idea) and then lost all motor movement.

Reloaded Mach 3, verified pin numbers, Dell Dimension 8100 desktop (this is the only application running after erasing itunes my kids loaded), driver test states the system under mach 3 is excellent, my estop still works pin 10 with 4.35 volts at the end of the cable, my XML file is attached, the Keling Technology motors lock up when the power is on and spin smoothly when the power is off, jogging works on the screen but no voltage on any of the pins.

Any help is appreciated!   John

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Motors willl not move
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:35:49 PM »
Hi, John

You had sherline CL mode set up in ports and Pins, Try this xml file.

Chip
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
Chip, I tried the new XML....the motors still don't turn and there is no voltage reading on the appropriate pins.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »
John,
What is the make of the motor drives and post a link to the info on them if Chips suggestion don't work?

RICH

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
Rich, Keling Technologies KL-6050.  http://www.kelinginc.net/KLDriver.html
The Keling power supply output measured 49v to each driver.  I bought the controller package, so it should be wired correctly.

The switches are 1-off, 2-off, 3-off, 4-on

The motors are Keling NEMA 34  model KL34H280-45-8A (eight wire variety)

Thanks, John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »
Have you checked on the actual port itself to see if you get 5V when you jog an axis one way and zero volts when you jog the other?
Do have the correct port address set in Ports and Pins?
Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »
Hi, John

Re load your old xml and in ports & pins un check the CL mode, Check your port setting 378 also then check in Windows, Device Manager pic 1 and make sure the settings agree.

Sending you a PM message.

Chip

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »
Under config> motor tuning - set your vel to 50, accel to 3, and step & dir to 2 to 5 us and put a calculated number in for the steps /unit .

config>ports & pins>motor input try with step and direction active low ( click the box to change )

But irrelevant of the above you should see a voltage swing on the pins which are going to your controller for each axis. If you don't have that, no pulse is going to your controller / driver. So start trouble shooting  the PP.
Are you using the motherboard PP or a card. Some only put 3.5 volt swing out instead of 5. May be your problem.

Not sure,
RICH

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
i am really new but i am upgrading a bridgeport boss 3 and i was tuning motors and lost motion oiled the heck out of the ways only to find that the tuning page is awkward i had the numbers way off when the screen flickers and the move didnt seem to be much look at the numbers they have probably changed more than you think anyway good luck this was my problem
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 01:27:54 AM »
Thanks for all the help.  Identified the first problem was the parallel port not working.  Different computer is giving the output signals....but still no movement.  Headed out of town for the next week and a half.  Started using a Dell lattitude laptop with the docking station.   I will have to troubleshoot when I return and will post the findings.  It doesn't appear to be Mach 3.

Thanks again to everyone.