Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:37:33 PM

Author Topic: Cut Gears alteration  (Read 15660 times)

Re: Cut Gears alteration
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »
That is very dissapointing. Seems not much thought went into the wizard before it was written.

I won't buy involute cutters, therefore it makes that wizard useless to me.

Larry
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 01:05:58 PM »
I will see if I have time to program it at some point.. I just don't have the time to give you at the moment :( On the other hand there are more people (in mach) that will cut there gears with an  involute cutter... You are the first one that I have seen that wanted to use a gear hob. if there are others that are going to use it, I can take more time to work on it....

Thanks
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 03:02:34 PM »
That method described by Larry isn't hobbing.
Mach3, with or without a wizard, can't hob at the moment as true hobbing requires a spindle encoder feedback, similar to rigid tapping.

The wizard will work for involute cutters but not for special applications like Larry wants.
Saying that not much thought went into the wizard isn't fair when no one came forward and suggested different ways of doing this.

What you require for doing your program can easily be done in excel or any similar spread sheet.
Another way is to read the book and learn to use subroutines to carry out much of the duplicated work required by this stacked cutter method of cutting, not hobbing.

John S.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 06:13:19 PM »
John, first of all you are wrong about the hob. There are different kinds of Hobs.

Secondly, I purchased the license for the Newfangled wizards to make life easy. I already had the right to read books and write my own G-code. I didn't need to purchase a license to do that. And thirdly, I already know how to write G-code without using any spread sheets and reading any more books. I don't need any suggestions to do that. This thread is about Newfangled wizards, what they can and can't do, so go find some other parade to piss on. Better yet, go get a book and read about the different kind of hobs.

Larry

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »
Show me a commercial hob that's not helical.
Not one of Jose Rodriguez's mackle ups.

And I'm not pissing on anyone's parade, when the new fangled wizards were being written I went to a lot of trouble testing them and making suggestions based on real world problems with real world machines.

Where were you ?

Sure this thread is about new fangled Wizards and making life easy.
That easy one is called CUT GEAR, I can't see one called HOB GEAR

I have plenty of books about hobbing and gears, probably nearly a 100 at the last count.
I spent the last 4 days last weekend at the Bristol show in the company of Ivan Law who wrote Gears and gearcutting, he's an old friend.
Then take a look at this text file and the links to the pictures and then tell me if I don't know about hobs.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/hidden/Gearhobbing.txt

Were you on our side in the last war ?

John S.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 11:52:56 PM »
John, that's a lot of bull *********X. Where in any of my posts did I say I was using a commercial hob and where did I say that I was using a helical hob. You jumped into this thread and made a bunch of half-baked assumptions which are wrong. What does your testing wizards have to do with me. I purchased Mach3 with my money and I purchased the wizards with my money and I have a right to be happy or dissapointed with what I paid for at my discretion, after all I was not able to test the wizards before I bought it.

I doubt that 100 books were ever written on the subject of hobbing, which tells me you like to make up stories. None of this has anything to do with you, and you should butt the hell out. Go back to drinking your tainted Kool Aid and communicating with the Mother-Ship.

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 03:41:12 AM »
You didn't say you were using a commercial hob or a helical hob so how are people to know you are using something special and expect a standard wizard to cope with your unique requirements ?
In fact, technically,  you are not using a hob
NOWHERE does it say HOB GEAR, you are expecting too much and coming over too strong on a forum where most people are polite and try to help.

Just because Brian wasn't able to rewrite the wizard just for your application overnight  you infer you have been short changed.

As regards books I said hobbing and GEARS and I can assure you there are 1,000's of them out there.
There has been over 100 hobbing machine models made alone in the last 100 years so that's a 100 manuals on hobbing for a start.
Type in GEARS on abebooks.com and see how many hits you get.

Read that text file again and see where I'm coming from, I have built hobbers, I have made hobs and involute cutters. I do know a little of what I am talking about.

What you want is unique, it's technically not a hob but a circular rack and works totally alien to normal gear cutting but it does work.

Inside Mach 3 there is a normal cut gear wizard that's not part of the New Fangled Suite, also by Brian.
This isn't a protected wizard and you can open it and modify it in screen designer.
Why not open this up and rewrite it to suit your application and then Brain doesn't have to make porridge just for one ?

John S.

P.S. If you are taking this information on hobbing from the Rodriguez's video, be careful there are many glaring mistakes on that making the end result technically and mathematically incorrect.

Hint for one of them, check his figures all the way through for Pi, not the ones we use, from the mother ship perhaps ?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 03:48:05 AM by John S »
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
This will be my last response:

I never came on strong until you jumped in and infuriated the situation with YOUR ignoramous comments and "smarter than thou" attitude. You came on in an offensive way. Your first comment was:

"The one in the Newfangled suite is crap."
 "The cutter diameter is missing and so it can't post code."

"Did I mention it was crap ?"

So make no mistake, you started this crap.

Response to your previous posts:

It dosn't say gear hob, but it dosn't say involute cutter either.

You seem to be obsessed with Jose Rodrigues.  I never mentionsd his name until now but you have already attacked him 3 times. At least he teaches people to do things for themselves, whereas you just hang on the forums criticizing  and weasel-wording around the truth. Anyone who graduated high school knows Pi, and if not, then he knows how to get it.

I never said that I was short-changed by Brian -- YOU said that. I said that I was dissappointed with that particular wizard.

I never demanded that Brian rewrite the wizard overnight or even rewrite it at all.  That is just more of YOU going off half-cocked.

You originally said that you have more than 100 hobbing books,  Now you are construing that to include hobbing machine manuals. I would not consider machine manuals to be books that teach you how to build and use hobs, which is the context that YOUR original statement was made.

If you were as intelligent as you think you are, you would be teaching forum members how to do things and then everyone would know how smart you are without your telling them. Instead, you hang around the forum and attack members of the forum and then bloviate about how much you know.

You are stealing away from the value of this forum from people who want to exchange ideas and learn about Mach3. This particular thread is for Newfangled wizard problems and communicating with Brian. Why do you think it is in your place to jump in and attack customers of Brian and/or moderate this thread in any way? That was a question that you should ask yourself and not answer to me because I really am not interested in anything you have to say.

John, I will not answer any more of your posts, because you talk like a fool and offer nothing of value.

In closing, I am dissapointed that Art and/or Brian have allowed the activity in this particular thread to continue. It truly is a distraction to the real value of this forum and if allowed to continue, will eventrully destroy the forum -- and that would be a real loss to the CNC community.

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 05:27:08 PM »
This will be my last response:

I never came on strong until you jumped in and infuriated the situation with YOUR ignoramous comments and "smarter than thou" attitude. You came on in an offensive way. Your first comment was:

"The one in the Newfangled suite is crap."
 "The cutter diameter is missing and so it can't post code."

"Did I mention it was crap ?"

So make no mistake, you started this crap.

The remark was made directly to Brian and what you don't realise is that every email or post between Brain and myself mentions that something is crap, - it's a personal joke but you weren't to know.
Read Brain reply to my CNC conversion under the Show and Tell forum.

Response to your previous posts:

It dosn't say gear hob, but it dosn't say involute cutter either.

You seem to be obsessed with Jose Rodrigues.  I never mentionsd his name until now but you have already attacked him 3 times. At least he teaches people to do things for themselves, whereas you just hang on the forums criticizing  and weasel-wording around the truth. Anyone who graduated high school knows Pi, and if not, then he knows how to get it.

So I hit the nail on the head ? I'm not obsessed with him and contrary to what you think he does teach people but teaches them wrong and there is no excuse for this when he's taking money.
I presume you haven't spotted his big mistake in the hobbing process at the end ?
Anyone following his methods will finish up with a geometrically incorrect gear.

I never said that I was short-changed by Brian -- YOU said that. I said that I was dissappointed with that particular wizard.

I never demanded that Brian rewrite the wizard overnight or even rewrite it at all.  That is just more of YOU going off half-cocked.

First you wrote:-

It is been a week with no feedback. I have a project I would like to get to using the wizzard.

Are we looking at days, weeks, months, maybe never? Please advise....

then:-

That is very dissapointing. Seems not much thought went into the wizard before it was written.

I won't buy involute cutters, therefore it makes that wizard useless to me.

Maybe never is a little strong don't you think? then to tell someone you don't buy involute cutters when the wizard IS for involute cutters is a slap.

You originally said that you have more than 100 hobbing books,  Now you are construing that to include hobbing machine manuals. I would not consider machine manuals to be books that teach you how to build and use hobs, which is the context that YOUR original statement was made.

No read what I wrote, not read what you want to read.
I'll type it slowly as you obviously have trouble reading it

I have plenty of books about hobbing AND gears

If you were as intelligent as you think you are, you would be teaching forum members how to do things and then everyone would know how smart you are without your telling them. Instead, you hang around the forum and attack members of the forum and then bloviate about how much you know.

Been there, done that. That text file was also sent to 3 forums that I use.
The circuit diagram for the black box has also been made public.
I have a web site showing how to make involute cutters that has been up for over 5 years.
If you study the text and pictures you can see how to cut spur, helical and worm gears clearly and you don't have to buy a poor quality CD to see this.

You are stealing away from the value of this forum from people who want to exchange ideas and learn about Mach3. This particular thread is for Newfangled wizard problems and communicating with Brian. Why do you think it is in your place to jump in and attack customers of Brian and/or moderate this thread in any way? That was a question that you should ask yourself and not answer to me because I really am not interested in anything you have to say.

John, I will not answer any more of your posts, because you talk like a fool and offer nothing of value.

Instead of saying I offer nothing of value why don't you address the problem you have, work it our and share it with us.
That's what I would do.
The wizard inside Mach3 isn't protected, why not alter that to suit?

In closing, I am dissapointed that Art and/or Brian have allowed the activity in this particular thread to continue. It truly is a distraction to the real value of this forum and if allowed to continue, will eventrully destroy the forum -- and that would be a real loss to the CNC community.

Perhaps you have answered your own question