Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:40:26 AM

Author Topic: noob - help on breakout card and parallel port card  (Read 13410 times)

Re: noob - help on breakout card and parallel port card
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »
Jim,

funny you should say that... they are plane and helicopter parts...  but   :) model plane and helicopter parts.

run the mill on the one axis using it as a power feed (will add the second axis by the end of the week) it's great :)

will change to 8 microsteps as recommended above,,, 

at this resolution, if there is a difference , you're right.... I won't care.

Thanks for your help..  the use of the spindle settings to test were invaluable to me..  I hadn't got that far up the learning curve yet.

Cheers

Adrian

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »
Hi, Im Ron From Australia, Am New to CNC and am having troubles Not very computer literate but am impressed with the boudless tasks that can be done with CNC. I have purchased a board and downloaded Mach3. The Computer I have does not have a Parallel Port so I have had to Purchase and fit a pci EPP/ECP Paralle Port. When I open the device properties there is no Resorces tab to find the allocated I/O Address. However, there is a multifunction device tree with the correct numbers of the card and comes up with an address in the resource tab but this still will not get my unit to work. When I do a port settings check the stepper motors jump briefly, so I know they get a signal at some stage. I have followed the manual for mach 3 to no avail with the address. Can any one help please?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 05:45:16 PM »
Have you tried going from Windows Start button to All Programmes then Mach3 then to GetPortAddress, that should search and come up with the address.
Hood
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:25 PM »
Hi Hood,
Thanks, Tried that but Mach3 icon on the start menu does not have the option for the get port address. I only have Mach 3 Loader and Uninstal otions. Is there somewere else I could find it or do I need to reinstall the software? Thanks again Hood for the Time. Ron

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 02:19:57 AM »
Have you got the latest lockdown version of Mach? If so then you should find it in the Mach3 folder, its called GetPortAddress.exe If not then I have attached it here.
Hood
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 04:40:40 AM »
Hi Hood, Thanks for that but nothing came up in the notepad sheet. It is certainly becoming frustrationg when a PnP printer works on the port but cant find the address.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 04:52:40 AM »
Ok try this
 Start, All Programmes, Accessories, Sysytem Tools, System Information. Then when that window opens look in Components then Ports and finally parallel, you should see the address there.
Hood
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 08:02:08 AM »
Hi Hood, Tried that and there is nothing under the parallel port although the PCI card is in the I/O of hardware resources. It is a hex code but none of them seem to work the CNC card. Any ideas on how to the get the computer to recognise the PCI as Parallel port? might fix the problem.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »
Not really, you could try deleting it from device manager then rebooting Windows so it finds it again. Also could try the manufacturers website to see if they have drivers for it. If that fails then afraid I dont know :(
Hood
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 09:16:10 AM »
Thanks for the efforts Hood. Have downloaded lastest drivers and nothing changes. I will attempt to get a new PCI Parallel card and see if that makes the difference or may have to build a new computer with an motherboard based Parallel port. Thanks again Hood. Appreciate the time. Will probably need a bit of help to get it set up once I get the Breakout board and the Computer talking to each other.