Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:52:38 AM

Author Topic: LATHE TOOL TABLE  (Read 9138 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
LATHE TOOL TABLE
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:05:13 PM »
Just a few lathe tool table questions.

1. Any reason why you should not use tool #0 as the "master tool " when setting up a tool table for the lathe?

2. The T word   Txxyy    the xx is the tool number, so i assume that the if yy was 10 it means the offsets for tool #10
    will be used to for tool # xx. Correct?

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: LATHE TOOL TABLE
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
The tool table in turn is actually an offset table.
You can have 99 offsets in turn and in theory have 99 tools.
I have 10 tool slots in my Turret/Toolpost so I can call tools 1 to 10 and to make it easy on me I can swap out tools in the slots for other tools. I have these tools marked with the slot number and offset number so I dont have to reset the offsets each time I load a different tool.
 I dont have 99 tools but if I did this is the way I have done mine
T0101, T0111, T0121  through T0191
T0202, T0212, T0222 through  to T0292
etc etc to
T1010, T1020, T1030 through to T1090

Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
Dont think you can use T0 as the Master.
Looks like "T0" can be called intentionally to leave the spindle or tool position empty.
? RC

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »
Thanks,
I will have more questions as I become more dangerous.  ;)
The lathe manual can be confusing. It just dosen't give you the overview for a quick association of
it all in short reading.

Hood,
Understand your logic for the numbering system. I will have more questions later on relating to actual use but i will go one step at time.

RC
I know the manual says to use the first tool ,#1 as the master ,and then the others when touched off
can get the offsets based on the controlling point used for tool # 1.  If you touch off tool #0 as the master
is there anything goofy later on that you need to know, or will happen, because you didn't use tool #1?

RICH
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »
Not sure RICH. I went by the book.
There's only one way to find out. LOL
Give it a go......take cover. ::)
RC :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:55:26 PM »
Understand RC, and will do just that.
Toothpick for a cutter won't do much damage.
Sometimes just need to explore and get lost to find out!
RCIH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »
Hood,
So when you use a different tool you just move the axes based on your markings and zero the DRO's?
Or do you use a macro to do it?
RICH

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:35:15 AM »
Just a note about the master tool. Don't think it has to be any particular tool #. I have successfully used tool #4 as the master - it wasn't intentionally, but rather by mistake ;) But as I saw it was working fine there was no need to change it. Furthermore, from my tests, you may have no master tool at all - i.e. all the tools can have offsets in the tool table and you'd still be fine.

Daniel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 02:22:09 AM »
I use one tool for finish pass on the majority of my parts so this is the one I have as the master, just so happens it is tool1 but as Daniel has said it doesnt matter which one it is.

When I call any tool and tell it to go to a dia it will go there, this is because I have all tool offsets set in the tooltable.
 I have very accurate homing on the lathe and I use a Home Off distance so that tool 1 is at centre when I command X0, all the rest of the tools are offset from tool s so it follows that when I call them they too are where they are meant to be.
 The clamping of the tools in the turret is done by wedges if I swap out a tool then it is surprisingly accurate and repeatable so even if it is one of my non standard tools that I call it will be within 0.01mm of where it is meant to be.
 The toolpost is used for drilling and boring tools and I have made up blocks for each of the 4 positions which have 50mm dia bores and I have sleeves fitted to all the boring bars so that they too are repeatable and can be set in the offsets.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »
I am at this very point having trouble with the tool table.

I have a tool table that has positions for 253 tools The manual current version 1.84 says "By scrolling the window you can access all the entries up to tool 99" I thought these had been upgraded but Hood says there are 99

Where is the offset table ?

The manual is absolutely hopeless it says you can shorten T0101 to 101 that just gives me tool 101 in the tool table

I always try to work things out myself but i am getting further away from working this out.

Can anyone give a definitive master class on correctly setting up a tool table from start to finish

Please

The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable