Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:32:55 AM

Author Topic: motor tuning  (Read 6228 times)

motor tuning
« on: May 14, 2009, 02:50:20 PM »
I can't get the motor tuning screen, nothing happens. I am trying to setup with a smoothstepper if that makes a difference. The problem I have is numerous to start with.
I had it on a laptop with a parallel port and everything worked fine but slow, would burn wood. (it was a loaner computer).
bought a smoothstepper, put everything on a different laptop and everything looked fine, except I got crop circles, errors in the g-code, and distance differences, rapids to fast for the motors.
I could run the same g-code on my house computer, no error, no crop circles. I think that is gone now, I think I am getting sleep deprived.
Now everything is 1/2 or 1/4 the size it should be. I can't get the motor tuning screen, I click on it and nothing happens, the drop down just goes away,  and if I use the settings window to adjust the steps, the rapids are way to fast for the machine.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:57:54 PM by elginz »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: motor turning
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
The crop circles are because you are in the wrong IJ mode for your code, change it on General Config page.
If you press Ctrl alt Del and look at the performance, what % of CPU are you using?
Hood
Re: motor tuning
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
I get that one, thank you. Absolute and Incrimental.

0-10 percent

I have reloaded Mach3 several times now and no motor tuning yet.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »
also it is Vista

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:47:57 PM »
Ah ok, well afraid I have never used Vista, might be worth a look through the Vista part of the forum to see if you can get a hint as to what might be wrong.
Hood

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:12:34 PM »
I have reloaded Mach3 several times now and no motor tuning yet.

Had the same problem with the motor screen not opening. Reloading Mach into the same directory had no effect. The fix was to rename/delete the Mach3 directory and do a complete fresh download letting Mach create a new Mach3 directory.  Of course save your .xml, .set and macro files first.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »
I restarted a few times, and shut down for a while and restart.
I did uninstall mach and reinstall.
Maybe I need to do as you say and rename the directory.
I plug the USB from smoothstepper in to a different laptop with XP, and everything run fine no problems at all.
Anyway  now I am trying to get XP put on my laptop. we will see if that works.

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:36:05 AM »
I restarted a few times, and shut down for a while and restart.
I did uninstall mach and reinstall.
Maybe I need to do as you say and rename the directory.
I plug the USB from smoothstepper in to a different laptop with XP, and everything run fine no problems at all.
Anyway  now I am trying to get XP put on my laptop. we will see if that works.

In my case, in addition to the motor tuning menu problem, the feed rate DRO consistently displayed 84% of the commanded federate. The actual movement was correct, just the display was in error. I never knew what caused the problem nor was ever able to correct it. Eventually conceded that I was in over my head and did a complete fresh download. Apparently Mach remembers your problem in spite of whatever you do?  If you find a more direct fix for this anomaly, please let us know?
Thanks
Al
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
Help I have same problem no motor tuning menu on new laptop but plugged the usb back into
the old laptop and motor tuning showed up but mors wont run on old laptop....crazy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »
Is the driver installed, you will see it in device manager. Is this Vista?
Also you mention USB, are you using the SmoothStepper?
Hood