Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:06:51 AM

Author Topic: Stepper Motors Stall During a Certian Move HELP!!  (Read 4524 times)

Stepper Motors Stall During a Certian Move HELP!!
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
So my Bridgeport Conversion is done and I've got it SUPER accurate, but I have a problem with the X and Y motors stalling during some moves during drilling operations.

I've tried everything loosening gibs, slowing the motors down, changing acceleration and all that. I know it's not a problem physically with the machine as it only happens when moving from one hole during a drill cycle of 10 holes. It's weird I can cut pockets that are PERFECT no error in size down to .0000 so when both axis' are moving together it's fine but during some drill cycles and it's happened with different gcodes where the x and y move to a new coordinate to drill, the motors stall. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.

Here is the gcode and I've highlighted where it locks up. Thanks.
Re: Stepper Motors Stall During a Certian Move HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:22:43 PM »
Your highlighted move is the first relatively LONG move of the Y axis.
I would double check your accel and speed.
Maybe set them super low and slow just to see. (although you said you did all that)
That move may be the first chance that the axis has time to accel to the max speed which may be too high.
Just a shot,
RC
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
I've tried that, it's very weird. I can cut pockets and other sutff all day long, but this only happens during a drill cycle made in Artcam. I'll try setting it super low and see what happens. With my 1200 oz/in. steppers I can have it go 150 IPM Jog and drag me across the floor and no lost steps. But I tuned them down to 100 just to be safe and the machine is never moving that far and that's fast enough.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »
Edit the code and put a G1 in there and see what hapens, have a fairly slow F in at first then edit again to get closer to your rapid speeds and see if it faults.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »
I'll try that.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:01:50 PM »
what are you using for a breakout board? i had a problem that turned out to be not enough power to a cnc4pc board. tha manual had said i could power the board with a spare usb port. using connected that way would give intermittent stalls on a axis during jogging.could jog x axis at up to 800 ipm, y axis to 800 ipm, but sometimes during a combined move would  stall an axis, usually the y. powered the breakout board from the pc power supply and have not had another occurence.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37:53 PM »
It's a CNC4PC BOB C11, but I use a dedicated power adapter so it can't be that. Plus it does coordianted moves all the time it's on a particular hole during a drill cycle. It's repeteable so that's the weird part.