Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:42:00 AM

Author Topic: Cannot reference home  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Signwave

•  4 4
  • All the worlds a sinewave
    • View Profile
Cannot reference home
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
Hey Everyone,

My name is Rich. I own a Precix 5x10 router and today after completing a job, I noticed that the machine was not reading the speed value In the gcode. It was 20ipm slower than what was in the code.
I am by no mean any form of expert when it comes to Mach3. I'd love to be able to learn this program in and out but time is limited these days. Anyway, I tried to shut down the controller, restart Mach 3 and reload the gcode. Upon doing so, I attempted to home the machine and it estoped while zeroing Z. The spindle dropped the tool holder and the DRO's were completely wrong- reading +122" while near home position.
Also, the speed override function would not work when I pressed the shift key.

Im so unfamiliar with this program. I'm feeling a little like a tool. Im also in a jam. Big job due tomorrow...

Can anyone give me an idea as to what may have happened?

It seems that as time goes on, Mach 3 burps more and more often. Always something that could potentially damage the machine.... either by crashing the spindle or sending the gantry off the end of the table...
I am unnerved..
Contrary to popular belief, TV ain't gooder than books.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot reference home
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:02:57 AM »
Hi, Rich

Under Config, General Configuration, Try setting the "Debounce" to 1000 and Un-Checking the "Use WatchDogs", This may help with the E Stop Issue's, The tool dropping may be due to the power being removed during E Stop also.

Check on the Diagnostics page, Is the "Pulse Frequency" Locked in a Solid Value, If it's not it can cause some Issues also.

Chip
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:16:55 AM by Chip »

Offline Signwave

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »

Thanks Chip,
No change occurred. Im not so sure that altering the settings is going to rectify this problem.

Yesterday, I was profile cutting some material. I opened the gcode editor through Mach 3, changed the F value from 60 to 125. I saved and then returned to mach3. The new value was in the gcode, but as the machine began its cutting cycle, it did not recognize the new speed value. I thought this was odd so once the cutt was completed, I shut the machine down, restarted and upon doing so. I could not home it.
As soon as Z hit the limit switch, It Estopped. the display window in M3 stated:" limit switch activated". Now if I try to clear the estop it will return to an active state. If I then try to home the machine without moving Z at least 125thou it crashes mach three and my screen looks like an etch a sketch. I then have to reboot the controller.

I also noticed that ti cannot rapid jog the machine. the gantry will not travel any fast than 20imp in any direction. If I press the shift key (override) it still does not travel any faster than 20.

My DRO's are also reading incorrectly. It is as if the machine thinks the gantry is at the far end of the table even though it is near home position. When I shut the machine down in the first place, the DRO's were reading correctly. When I rebooted and Mach came back on line, as soon as my display screen was visible it blinked twice and then showed the odd "at the end of the table DRO readings"

I wish I could provide more info... Im much too new to CNC to be of any more help. It doesnt help much that I have little idea what all the ins and outs of M3 are all about...

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
What kind of computer do you have? CPU memory etc.
Have you run the driver test to see what that looks like?
Hood

Offline Signwave

•  4 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
PROBLEM SOLVED.

limit switch was not closing. All seems to work fine now....

Chip, Thanks for your reply. Be it known that there are others out there beside myself that speak well of you. Thanks again for your reply.

all the best, Rich.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
Hi, Rich

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix.

Chip