Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:02:39 AM

Author Topic: CNC X and Y with manual Z?  (Read 6937 times)

CNC X and Y with manual Z?
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
Hello all,

I am fairly new to Mach3 and cannot find how to have Mach3 pause when the Z-axis need to be changed before the movement continues. Could someone let me know how this is done?

(I have tried to search the forums but could only find a post asking how to do it, but no answer to the question.  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,2959.msg22873/topicseen.html#msg22873

Thank you.
Jerry
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:45:40 PM by Chaoticone »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: CNC X and Y with manual Z?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »
Jerry, try checking thie z is 2.5d chackbox in general Config. I can't remember for sure but I think you will pause at a z move and then do the manual z, then hit cycle start when finished.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:17:31 AM »
Brett,

Thank you for the reply.

I just tried the 2.5D checkbox, but there was no pause in operation when the Z needed to be changed. The virtual mill just kept on going to the next milling point. (I did disable the z-axis in the port setup.)

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
Jerry

vmax549

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:27:26 PM »
DID you restart mach after the change to 2.5 mode???

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »
You could edit your Gcode and comment out the Z moves and put an M0 or M1 in their place. Presssing start will continue.

COuld be a bit of work but it will do the job.

Sage

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:41:31 PM »
Jerry, I would think the z would need to be enabled.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:43:24 PM »
Hello All,

In case others are in the same boat, I just wanted to report back on how I am planning to attack this problem.

Big disclaimers before I start:
   1. I do not know what I am doing!
   2. The files referenced in this post totally undocumented and there has been no testing as to what problems can arise if someone puts the wrong code in these files.
   3. Successful usage I describe requires the gcode to have Z-axis moves isolated on their own lines.
   4. This usage requires the above mentioned "Z is 2.5D..." checkbox to be checked.

A member, kcrouch, was kind enough to let me know about two macro/script files that relate to my request: "ZDN_2D.m1s" and "ZUP_2D.m1s". These files are activated when the Mach3 moves the Z-axis, the former when the axis moves down and the latter when the axis moves up. These files need to be put in the [Mach3]\Macros\[profile you use] directory. I am using "Mach3Mill" profile, so that is the directory that I put the script files in.

In each file I placed a line similar to:
   MsgBox("Move Z up/down to correct location.")

Make sure to restart Mach3 after everything is set up.

When Mach3 is running and encounters a Z move, the line processing will halt until the OK button in the dialog is pressed, giving you time to adjust the Z height appropriately for the next move. NOTE: If the z move is combined on the same line as another axis move, the other axis will move while the dialog box is being displayed, so you have just plowed through something that you did not intend. Make sure Z moves are on their own lines!

There are lots of problems that could arise using this method, so unless you are sure of what you are doing, I would not suggest following my lead. I could not find any better information about how to do this in the forum, so I thought I would put it out in case someone else finds it helpful.

Thank you for your time.
Jerry
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »
Hello all,

I am fairly new to Mach3 and cannot find how to have Mach3 pause when the Z-axis need to be changed before the movement continues. Could someone let me know how this is done?

(I have tried to search the forums but could only find a post asking how to do it, but no answer to the question.  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,2959.msg22873/topicseen.html#msg22873

Thank you.
Jerry

You don't indicate what CAM package you're using.  This can usually be handled easily by the CAM software.  SheetCAM provides a POST that replaces all Z moves with an M00, telling you what position to move Z to.  You move it, then hit CycleStart, and the program continues until the next Z move is required.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:38:17 AM »
Saw this, this morning and thought I'd throw it out there as someone may find it useful:

http://www.dakeng.com/zbreak.html

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)