Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:13:08 AM

Author Topic: Help setting up Mach3 on a Sieg Micro Mill  (Read 4699 times)

Help setting up Mach3 on a Sieg Micro Mill
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »
Hi -

Attached are two pictures of what I have. I have a SIEG Micro Mill with a Xylotex 3 axis controller XS-3525/8S-3. I am also using Mach3 CNC software to controller the mill.

I always have problems setting everything up.
Which should I set the card to; 1/8, 1/2 or Full step?
In Mach 3 no matter how I do the settings I have to set the accel and velovity very low. I have seen post and the documentation where the numbers are very high in comparison. I am unsure where is a good starting point for these numbers.

In the motor tuning settings;
I get where I am happy with the travel of the X/Y axis by pressing the arrow keys with my fingers. I go into the setup tab and click on the set axis button. Tell it to move an inch or two (small mill) and measure. Enter in the actual movement and it calculates and number and I choose to save.
After that - Anytime I try to do something with that axis - it just sits and screaches and hardly moves at all.

I am sure other people have ran into this before.

Thanks for any and all help. It is greatly appreciated.
Keith

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Help setting up Mach3 on a Sieg Micro Mill
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:17:54 PM »
First thing is I would say 1/8th stepping is probably best, next is it is best to calculate yourself rather than use Mach. Using Mach will be extremely accurate IF your measuring is accurate but without something like glass scales you are only going to get close.
 So best thing is to work out what you have as a step per unit, set the accel and Vel low and start increasing the Vel until your motor stall (screaching sound) then back off a good bit and increase the Accell until the same happens. You then have to do a juggling act to find where your machine is happiest with regards accel and Velocity, you may prefer faster rapids with a slower accelleration or vice versa, personally I would go the slower rapids faster accel.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »
next is it is best to calculate yourself rather than use Mach.

Hood

How do would I do it manually? Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:15:18 PM »
are they 1.8 degree steppers? what is the TPI of the screws? are the motors connected direct or is there a reduction between motor and screw?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »
are they 1.8 degree steppers? what is the TPI of the screws? are the motors connected direct or is there a reduction between motor and screw?
Hood

I am unsure the TPI of the screw.
Yes the steppers are 1.8 deg.
Yes there is reduction between the motor and the screw.

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »
Ok so measure the TPI, its fairly easy, just get a rule and count how many threads there are in any given inch.

What is the reduction?
Hood