Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:30:37 AM

Author Topic: how to go to z without traveling dagonally  (Read 15765 times)

vmax549

Re: how to go to z without traveling dagonally
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
Heck if that part is all you need to build you can do that with 3 axis. AND I am with HOOD hopefully some of the professionalism at the other PRO sites you are hanging out at will eventially rub off on you.

Poor form to constantly complain that everything is presented wrong when you are the NEWBIE to CNC ??????

Piece of cake, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:52:04 AM by vmax549 »

vmax549

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »
OK , Did the original question get answered to his satisfaction???  The GOTOZ button is not for everyone. As you know you specific needs may preclude its use.

IF you always have a specific route you can take to safely get to 0,0,0 we can help you write the code to build a NEW button.

Lets us know, (;-) TP
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 12:30:44 PM »
By no means a Pro myself, this is the most professional forum I've seen.
Rarely is a thread hijacked the way this one has been.
Is that the "Pro" part of it ?

I hope "greenene" is still with us.
He had a very basic question, and it was his first post.
Hope we didn't scare him off.

btw.....where the heck is Bill C. ?
RC  :) (just a reflection of my general personality.....not interested in a date)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 12:41:29 PM by Overloaded »
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 01:38:27 PM »
Bill C. is probably off to a Blacksmith event.

In any case, thank for explaining the linear thing. I already knew "what has been meant" by that and I'm sure it works well for some. It just does not interest me as I work in azimuth mostly so it would be an unnecessary conversion back and forth, and would compromise absolute positioning that I need.

If you need to preserve the 360 deg aspect for resolution, just set the axis to linear by un-checking A axis angular box and set steps per to the current amount divided by 360.
Then G0 A1.0 would give you a 1 degree move. G0 A3600.0 would give 10 revolutions. No calculations.

I came into this thread late and didn't realize it had been Hi-Jacked. If you need more help, start a new thread.
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
OK, I just re read the whole thread and realized that while I was answering the questions, I was not paying any attention to who was posting.

As to the part, unless the flats are already on the part and you just need to clean them up, any where the A axis stops should be fine for the first cut then rotate 1/2 turn for the second cut.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 04:18:42 PM »
No problemo, guys. I can take a little heat.

This thread really was hijacked badly. On the other hand, notice the number of reads and that tells a story also.

"Heck if that part is all you need to build you can do that with 3 axis"  Brilliant deduction . . how do you suppose I made the one in the photo? I could make if from a block of steel and a file if I had the time . .  that's not the point.

Anyway, fellas, no new thread needed, I got all the info I needed, and today I wrote and tested the macro I wanted to automatically generate the G-code and pass it to Mach to make the threading or turing passes. Works great!

In spite my complaining and some of you guys sulking, in the end there was success and I do appreciate all of the time spent on my issue. I am a very happy camper . . .  except maybe for the sore butt . . lots of teeth marks down there . . . .  ::)