Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:51:13 AM

Author Topic: Parallel port for PCI bus that works with Mach3 - just passing along info  (Read 74092 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel port for PCI bus that works with Mach3 - just passing along info
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
You may find it in device manager but it may be LPT3 or whatever, that wouldnt matter to Mach as Mach is only looking for the address and not the name windows gives it. If its not there you may find it from Start, All Programmes, Accessories, System Tools, System Information, Components then finally Ports.

Then again it probably wont work anyway if its not a true port ;D

Hood
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 01:59:21 PM »
or you can get faster to SYSTEM info   by simply typing     msinfo32   in the RUN window

but this is just SYS INFO nothing you change, modify, etc.
you still have to go thru the Control panel.

to also gain easier access to SYSTEM you can create a "shortcut" on the desktop by right clicking on the icon in Control panel.

you can even get closer to the Device manager by creating a shortcut on the desktop
but this time, If I remember right, you find the CPL files.  I don't remember the name of the one corresponding to Dvce manager but when you find it, or any other one you think is useful to you,  just create a shortcut to desktop.

Also,  Did you know that you can EDIT the CPLs with notepad??
I not only had quick access to Windows panels I need "NOW"  but I could customize them.
I changed some of the windows to replace Windows logo,  with my own logo(or any pic) or move components around inside the window.
for customized OS.
I haven't done that in a while since I did not save my modified CPLs to Storage (Trick bag) for use in other computers.
so TIME is the problem here.  

Anyway still trying to find a way to POSITIVELY install a PCI LPT2 for mach3 use.  (for 5-8 Axis)

(We know that a USB-LPT dongle doesn't work.
I bought a PCI to LPT card that had 2 "Free" USB ports.
XP installs the USB drivers and the LPT drivers upon discovery but then nothing can be found anywhere to use.

upon researching the CHIPs on the PCI card I discovered that the LPT is actually a PIGGY-BACK of the USB.
SO...turns out.. this particular Card is Primarily a PCI to USB card then they decided to use a USB to Parallel-LPT Chip.
so I'm pretty sure that is the problem.  
will have to return and start over with ONLY a PCI to LPT port card.

Any other experiences out there, guys??

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 02:40:55 AM »
i bought a Rosewill rc-303 hoping to have luck and nothing sofar.  I went to moschip like simpson36 mentioned and got the drivers from the site but still no dice yet.  I am going to create a post begging for help soon but just to let people know the rc-304 used a different chip (Nm9835) than the rc-304. 

P.S.  a shortcut to device manager is to right click My Computer and click Manage.  It brings you directly to the device manager.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »
after i went back to moschip website i downloaded the whql drivers for the chip i was able to use the pci card without issue.  So if you buy this card dl the second set of drivers for XP.
I'm trying to figure out the parallel port card problems myself. I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150143 hoping it would work because it's pretty expensive ( hey it's a theory    ;D  )  The 2 serial ports worked right away with my shopbot but I can't get anything out of the parallel port for maxnc 10cl or 2 different hobbycnc controllers. 

The port address looks pretty weird for the parallel port. It resources it shows:

I/O range 7000-7004
I/O range 7400-7407

I've watched the mach setup video and put in the first number under the port address of 7400 but it doesn't work. I've tried all of them as well and nothing. How do I check the voltage?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »
After much research I bought this dual parallel port to run a second BOB off Mach3. This is, incidentally, my favorite place to buy my geek stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166007

1) Go to www.MOSchip.com to get the drivers for the chipset on the card. The ones that come with the card didn't work for me . . YMMV.

[/quote/]

This is getting really frustrating.  I got this board from newegg and installed the latest drivers and NO GO.   ???

Can you tell me what version of the driver worked for you? 

Looks like from MosChip's FAQ's that EPP is not an option only ECP.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
Rick, I do not have time to answer individual e-mails from forums, but I will post here on the parallel port question where everyone might benefit. I can post the drivers, but would need to know the operating system you need them for, and whether 32 bit or 64 bit.

I am using the WHQL Windows XP 32 bit drivers from the MOSCHIP web site.

In general, I suggest using a straight PCI to LPT card with NO other goodies on it, and avoid multi purpose chips if possible. Mach obviously has some hard coded expectations and it seems intolerant of deviation from the original IBM port standards and will ignore any 'slight-of-hand' tricks where a vendor is intercepting software port calls and redirecting those to their own super slick setup. Mach appears to talk to the hardware and will not utilize such 'do everything' chips.

As noted on another post, converters also do not play nice. USB to parallel and the like regardless if it is in an external purpose-built box, special cable or a chip built onto a board. FTDI makes converter chips (smoothstepper is an example for this CNC group) and the required drivers can interfere with other USB processes. Certain active FTDI interfaced devices can cause file corruption in USB connected hard drives, for example. The FTDI scheme is a codec of sorts, but most people do not realize this and believe such devices are native USB.

Best rule in interacing mach with anything is, in my experience, keep it old school, keep it simple.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I am using the same pci board that you are (Rosewill 2 port Parallel (SPP/PS2/EPP/ECP) Universal PCI card Model RC-304).  I downloaded the WHQL Windows XP 32 bit drivers from the MOSCHIP web site.  I am using version 2.0.0.18 driver dated 1/10/2010. 

I am using it on an xp pro 32 bit system.

Rick

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Device manager says I am using 2.0.0.16 dated 12/24/2008.  I will need to check to make sure my card has the same xx15CV  chip as the current version.

XP home 32bit.   

I have the computer's built in parallel port disabled and am using the two ports on the card only.

What problem are you having, specifically?
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
Well let's see if I can explain the situation with my limited knowledge. 

I'm using a Gecko g540.  With no steppers attached, I've got it plugged into the pc.  The reason I first suspected the pci card was that I could see absolutely no reaction in Mach 3.  And after reading so many posts from people with PCI problems. After changing a couple of settings in Mach,  (the db25 connector on the card is lpt3)  I was able to see on the mach screen an estop fault when I disconnected the jumper for the estop on the g540.  When I reconnected the jumper, and hit the reset on mach, the fault was cleared.   ;D ;D  So this made me feel better, since I was getting communication from the G540 into the PC through the pci card. 

When I switch the charge pump to the on position (on the g540) I get a estop fault on the mach screen.  I've gone to the Gen Config then to the Gen Config section and checked the   checkbox that says Chargepump on in Estop.  This had no impact.

I think I have a problem with the g540, since when I plug it in with nothing connected, only the estop jumper, It will sometimes go to the red fault light.  If I disconnect the jumper and reconnect it, the fault will clear and I will get a green power light on the g540.

I've emailed Marcus and he suggested sending it back for them to check it out.

The saga continues.
Rick