Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:07:59 PM

Author Topic: AV vane operated position sensors  (Read 3276 times)

AV vane operated position sensors
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:39:37 AM »
I have 1AV3A vane operated micro switches in my machine as limit switches. These switches were not wired when I bought the machine. I am accustomed to simple open/closed contact limit switches and am lost with these. Anyone familiar with these switches and have any idea how to wire them into my C10 parallel port interface card? I'm assuming a 5v supply to the switches is needed which can be obtained off the interface card easily but the diagram of the switch says 6 to 24v. I have attached PDF's of both components. The PDF for the switch is a brief description of the switch and contains no wiring diagram. Also, how do I set up mach to interpret the signal being it is not a normal open/closed contact?  Thanks!
--Rick
Re: AV vane operated position sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
OK, I think I got it...just needed a 5v power supply and it seems to work as a regular normal closed contact.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:55:15 PM »
Anybody familiar with these switches and how you would wire them and configure in mach? When I supply 5v to the switch, the other lead is grounded when the switch is not made, then open when the switch is made. If I reverse the polarity on the switch, I have about 3.7v on the other lead at all times, when the switch is made or not.
--Rick
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
According to the specs, the 1AV3A is 6v to 24v, so 5v operation will be below operating parameters, they are shown as 3 wire sink device, so you will have 2 connections for power and the 3rd most likely open collector NPN. If operating into a parallel port using an auxilliary supply to get higher than 5v, then you connect the  +v and common connections to your auxiliary supply, connect the auxiliary power supply common to PC port 5v common and connect the NPN sink output to your port input, you may get away without pull up resistor depending on the nature of the port input.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:48:12 PM by NosmoKing »