Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:24:56 AM

Author Topic: Moved Mach3 to newer computer, add on parallel card, no go? Need hlep.  (Read 8757 times)

I moved to a new computer, same operating system.  Moved my files over from the old one.  The newer one did not have a motherboard parallel port so I installed one.  It has a part number of 4018T on it and I think it is capable of two ports.  I only need one.  Anyway can't seem to get Mach dro's to do anything.  I am going to add some screen shots in case you know it won't work this way.  If I open properties in the ports tab I don't get a resources tab.  So I looked under the Multifunction Adapter one. Get me started in the right direction.

If you want to kill time, why not work it to death!
Instead of looking at Multifunction adapters, look at PCI EPP/ECP Parallel Port LPT 1 & LPT 3.
LPT1 = Port #1 & LPT3 = Port #2.
I looked in there and it has no resource tab to look into.  I also played with changing ports on each but no go on either.
Uninstall LPT1 & LPT3. Reboot computer and get into CMOS. Make sure onboard parallel port is enabled. Save and continue to boot computer.
Multifunction ports should be detected and installed. Check LPT1 resources and set Port #1. Check LPT2 resources and set Port #2. If LPT2 doesn't have a resources tab, try each of the resources from the multifunction one at a time for Port #2 settings.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
It will probably be the one that the computer is calling LPT3 that you are wanting, it is likely that LPT1 is just a ghost as windows is loading drivers for the non existant onboard port.
 If there is no resource tab then try by going to Start, All Programmes, Accesories, System Tools and finally System Information. Look under Hardware resources then I/O and find your LPT ports, you can use the search bar at the bottom to get there quicker :)

It may be however that the port is no use as it seems like the a800 would be the correct address.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Actually just had a look at the System Info, you can look direct by looking at components then ports then parallel. Saves scrolling or searching the full list.
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
A800 is far outside the definitions set by IBM.

It looks like you have a multi funciton card that likely requires special drivers to interface with the OS. Mach wants to talk directly to the port and most likely expects standard, if not legacy, harware. That is speculation on my part.

You probably would fare better with an dedicated parallel port card as suggested earlier.

Thanks for the info so far.  I did order a new single port card last night just in case.  I looked hard for other drivers for this card but no luck. Just as aside note I did try all the ranges in the list with no luck.  The  I'll keep you posted on what I find.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:52:06 AM by lockeyone »

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Sometimes the chipsets used will have a LPT functionality built in even if they don't bring the pins out to the board. You might also check the documentation on the motherboard to see if they brought the LPT out to a header on the board. I've seen some boards do that with serial ports and PC maker does not advertise the extra onboard ports. Some parallel ports just don't work as well. If you get to the point where Mach will talk with your parallel port here is a good post for more troubleshooting tips: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11108.0.html.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Jeff, my newest computer is like that. Gigabyte MB. Has one serial and one parallel port as pin headers on the board, but no connectors to the outside world.