Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:00:54 PM

Author Topic: Jog rate, feed rate and abnormal condition  (Read 14360 times)

Jog rate, feed rate and abnormal condition
« on: April 11, 2009, 07:17:58 AM »
Hi,
this is my first post here.

I purchased Mach3 two years ago. I hav not used it yet. I have no machine to use it on, but I plan to make a router this year. I upgraded to version R3.042.020 yesterday. I have been playing around with it since then. I also have LazyCam, pro version.

I currently manage to make a simple drawing in AutoCad 2000, import the dxf file into LazyCam and make the toolpaths, pocketing, offset, Z-depth, different tools and so on. I haven't figured out how to make countoured surfaces in the Z-plane in LazyCam yet. Havent really tried yet. I can draw complicated objects in AutoCad however, like 3-D drawings, multiple layers and so on. I manage to load the G-code into Mach3 and run the program.

I have a few question on things I still havent figured out.

1.  I cant find where I specify the jog rate. I have found it is possible to set the slow jog rate in a percentage of the full jog rate. But where do I set the full jog rate? I'm aware of the motor configuration setup. I have set the motor speeds to 600 (mm/s), but the jog rate is mostly in the 100 units range when I hit the jog buttons.

2.  The actual "working" feed rate is 10-15% below the feed rate set in the G-codes. When I set the feed rate override to say 200% the actual feed rate is only ca 170% of the feed rate set in the G-codes. What is the reason for this?

3.  The abnormal condition tab do blink. When I hit i it says I am "Currently in metric units". I have set the units to metric in the configuration. What is the reason for this warning?

Edit: Clearified difference between problems with the feed rate and jog rate.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:48:37 AM by SteinarN »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Jog rate, feed rate and abnormal condition
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »
Your Jog rate should be whatever your max rapid speed is ie whatever the cvelocity is in motor tuning. You may not see these speeds when jogging if your acceleration is set low and you are only moving short distances as the axis will never get up to speed.

Could be a few things, if you are moving two or more axis at the same time then it will move so as not to overfeed the slowest axis, what you will see for a feedrate will all depend on the difference betwen the distance that you are needing each axis to move to get to the destination at the same time.

Just click OK and it will reset the Abnormal condition into a Normal condition. That feature is the one thing in Mach that I really dislike, it strikes fear into the guy thats new to Mach, kind of like the messages that pop up in windows that say are you sure you want to do this :D
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
I would like it to be so easy.

The feed rate is set at 600 and the accel at 30. The jog rate accelerates up to 40 in a few seconds  and stay there, the shift tab doesnt increase it either now even though it lit up in the "jog panel" when hit. The slow jog rate is set to 40%. In rapid feed (when running a program) the speed reaches aproximately 600 almost instantly.'

The abnormal tab put up the "Currently in metric units" when hit. The fault doesnt reset but stays active no matter what I do.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
Please attach your xml.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »
I gave up and installed Mach3 over again. I created a new mill profile. The new profile works fine. The jog speed in the old profile seems to be OK now after the new installation. But the abnormal button blinks. The only way I can get that fixed is to set the inch/metric in the "Setting Alt-6" tab to inch. The units in the "Config>Native units" is still set to metric. Don't understand that. If I change between inch and mm in the "Setting Alt-6" tab in the new profile nothing happens seemingly. Looks like a bug maybe. Anyway I deleted the original Mill profile.

What is the XML? I have much to learn from you experts here  :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »
If you  made a new mill profile that is the xml to attach,  you can look in the Mach3 folder and you will see it. It will be the name of the profile.xml, for instance if your new profile is called SteinarMill the xml to attach will be called SteinarMill.xml.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:21:32 PM »
I gave up and installed Mach3 over again. I created a new mill profile. The new profile works fine. The jog speed in the old profile seems to be OK now after the new installation. But the abnormal button blinks. The only way I can get that fixed is to set the inch/metric in the "Setting Alt-6" tab to inch. The units in the "Config>Native units" is still set to metric. Don't understand that. If I change between inch and mm in the "Setting Alt-6" tab in the new profile nothing happens seemingly. Looks like a bug maybe. Anyway I deleted the original Mill profile.

In Alt-6 tab set to metric. In Alt-1 tab Double click abnormal button, click YES. Button should be solid green.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:44:54 AM »

I see I wasn't clear enough in what I wrote above.

All in the above quote refers to the old profile, except this sentence: "If I change between inch and mm in the "Setting Alt-6" tab in the new profile nothing happens seemingly."

Hood: Thanks for your help!

Machinemaster: I didn't know it is possible to double click the abnormal button. I will remember it if it happens another time. Thank you!