Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:15:51 PM

Author Topic: Driver Test Assumptions  (Read 4732 times)

Driver Test Assumptions
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Hello Guys!
I have a quick newbie question, its kind of newbie because it is a newbie for me.

This is the first time my Driver test graph is not a clean straight line.

Should we assume that if the driver test displays the SYSTEM EXCELLENT message in the pulse rating, that everything should be fine to work with mach?

The current PC I'm working on is displaying the system excellent but the graph shows spikes, even after some system optimization.

I'm attaching the test.

Thanks!!
Fernando

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Test Assumptions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »
iI think I would be tempted to load an old version of Mach in that has the old DriveTest and see what that says. Reason being saw someone the last day that said the drivetest was excellent but they had problems.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
Fernando,
  I have the very same question. Hope you dont mind if I display my recent test for comments also.
So...does it look like this test would cause any  problems ?
Thanks,
RC

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »
Hi All,
Here's one way to put those spikes on the screen into perspective.
While the driver test is running, just start moving your mouse around and see what happens.

Then when your running a program in MACH3, start moving your mouse around and see what happens.
On a slow PC  the cutting actualy will slow down due to all the interupts.
Now you know why I sometimes say " don't play with your mouse".  ;)
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »
Russ & Fernando,
You are not alone on the driver test understanding. I realy don't think you can relate what that graph looks  like and expected preformance to the driver. My Dell graph is quite clean yet it absolutely suck's when it comes to the signal pulse given to the stepper driver! Just a comment for it's worth.

Hey Russ, what does the graph look like when your not capturing a screen during the driver test?
RICH
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
Good info RICH.
  During the capture, nothing changes. That pic is average of what it does continuously.
Moving the mouse makes no difference here...in sim anyway.
I did notice on the 2nd lathe I built that if the screen has gone to sleep while Mach is running and you move the mouse, It will go nuts but only during a rapid...I think.
It's intermittent.

Here is a capture of my other PC.
Mouse doesn't affect it either.

Thanks,
RC

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 07:55:07 AM »
Fernando

I have seen this drivertest before.  Looks like a piano keyboard.

I had a thread on it a couple of years ago and did a search but did not find it.

Look in bios for "C1E Enhanced Halt State"  mother board makers call it by different names.

Disabling it made a huge difference.  It is some sort of power saving feature for certain CPUs.

Greg

EDIT:  I found it,  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,2661.msg16053.html#msg16053
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:01:30 AM by Greolt »
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »
Greg,
THat did it!, It had the same name in my bios.
I also disabled my floppy because i dont have one installed. Although i dont think that made a huge improvement as the C1E enhanced...
Now the driver test is as flat as ive seen it, even at 100Khx, not that i am going to use it at that speed, but at 45Khz, my pulse rate only varied by 3 counts on average.

Thanks!!! a lot!!!

Fernando