Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:02:30 PM

Author Topic: Greetings(my 1st post),re: Alphacam, Cabinetvision, Omnitech router  (Read 7509 times)

Hi all,
I've spent much time lurking in the DIY cnc sites and mention of and praise for Mach 3 abounds!!
I'm sure that i will make a (some) of my own cnc machines. My profession is a cabinetmaker. I've been a long time user of Cabinet Vision made by Planit ( makers of Alphacam).
At the shop we are considering the purchase of an Omnitech 5'x10' router for nested base component cutting. To integrate CV to the machine, i need to purchase the NC center module of CV and it is recommended that Alphacam, or Enroute, or Mastercam etc be also purchased (by the machine salesman). Another thing I need to do (so they tell me) is have a tech from planit come to the shop and create a POST for the machine.
How does Mach3 compare with programs like the ones mentioned? Could i nest parts on a sheet of plywood? Would Mach 3 work with this machine? (it comes with a Fanuc controller)
POST: what exactly is it? ..and why do i need to have someone come to my shop and do it?
the machine comes with a teaser version of Cabinet Vision software to entice buyers to purchase the full version. So the machine comes also with a post to run that program.......
I also have Turbocad. Can i draw parts in turbocad and import them into Mach3 for tool pathing etc.

I realize that some of these are questions of a very specific nature regarding non-mach3 software but i thought i would give it a shot.
thanks for any help. What a great site!
Peter

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Greetings(my 1st post),re: Alphacam, Cabinetvision, Omnitech router
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:24 PM »
Mach3 is a controller, similar to the Fanuc Controller. It won't help you in your situation.

The post tailors the g-code output from CV to your machine, as different controls use slightly different flavors of g-code. If the machine comes with a CV post, it should work for you. Your machine manufacturer igfht also be able to supply you with a different post, if needed.

I'm also a cabinet maker in a large commercial shop, so I have some background. Our company actually spent a month with Cabinet Vision when we first got our machining center almost 10 years ago. It was very buggy back then, and I wasn't happy with the support, so we went with Pattern Systems, which was actually a better fit for us.

Anyway, back to you're issue. CV should do most of your casework stuff by itself. Depending on what else you want to make, there are far cheaper options out there that may work just as well for you. Take a look at Vectric's V-Carve pro or Aspire. Powerful software, easy to use, for a LOT less than Alphacam or MasterCAM. And free support, and posts too. :) www.vectric.com
You can export your TurboCAD drawings into Vectric's software to do all your toolpaths and gcode creation.

Gerry
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:06:25 AM »
Gerry,
thanks for your reply. VERY HELPFUL.
The machine guy was talking talking about the differences between software controlled machines and electromechanical controlled machines.
SO.. Mach3 would be a software controller, and Fanuc an electromechanical controller, correct?

Cabinet Vision is a very powerful, extremely flexible tool. A lot of people get very frustrated with the learning curve. I've had it for 7 years or so and it's come a long way!

How's business at your shop? Where are you located? I'm in Maine. Have you built a router? Do you have any recommendations for router projects?
thanks again, and have yourself a great day!
Peter

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:10:09 AM »
The difference between Fanuc and mach3 can be a bit blurry. Mach3 is software only, but it supports a lot of different hardware. A Fanucc ontrol is a complete software/hardware package.

Our shop is in Detroit. We're actually very busy right now, despite the economy here. We do commercial casework and millwork. Mostly hospitals and banks, but also a few hotels, and just about anything anyone throws at us.

I've been on and off working on a small homebuilt router for 5-6 years. It's 95% finished. Should be running in a few months. I've got plans for another as soon as it's running.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html