Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:39:42 AM

Author Topic: MPG Behavior questions  (Read 2813 times)

MPG Behavior questions
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »
Ok, my goal is to build a pendant that imitates some functions of the HAAS machine I used to work on.  I am trying to figure out how the MPG will behave when used here.  On that machine you would select buttons to determine the movement per step, 0.1", 0.01", 0.001" or 0.0001" per "click" of the wheel.  Similar to the way mach lets you cycle through these in the Step Jog mode.  The wheel has 100 detents and corresponding marks on the wheel. 
I've read the Mach3 manual, but I don't have hardware to play with yet, but can Mach3 be set up to work like this?  One "click" of the physical wheel makes one step in jog mode?  From what I read, it looks like you just set up the wheel to make the machine move, but it doesn't work with step mode.  Or am I way off here?  Thanks for any help anyone can provide?

BClemens

Re: MPG Behavior questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:44:40 PM »
Yes, you can set an MPG up same as the HAAS. I used the CNC4PC MPG2 with the C22 interface card. Being a quadrature pulse generator, you must work around the 4 pulses per detent. I used this one in 'velocity only' mode until I worked out a method to get the steps you mention - excluding the tenths. But it can be done quite successfully - and a very useful device it is. Four quick detents in step .1000" and away it goes to .4000" very precisely.

Bill C.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:47:44 PM by BClemens »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: MPG Behavior questions
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 03:49:13 PM »
Yes it works in step mode, never actually payed atteontion  to see if one click will move exactly what I have set in the step movement but it must be close. I actually dont use step mode much, I either have it in Velocity where the faster you turn the faster it moves or in multi step mode where it will continually move at the step increments as you turn. If using actual step mode then you need to pause for a split second on each click.

Hood