Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:24:49 PM

Author Topic: Pause, turn off spindle, jog & resume  (Read 8896 times)

Pause, turn off spindle, jog & resume
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:30:23 AM »
Hi,
I have searched the forum but didn't find a solution for what I want to do.
Maybe a basic question but I am just starting.

I'm going to a show with the machine and will have to demo it to visitors. I like to run a file in several small parts with long pauses in between. I know I can use "Pause" and "Start" to do this but that doesn't stop the spindle nor the dust collector. "Stop" will do that but then "Start" will not restart them. I also may need to jog somewhere during these pauses and come back to where the running file was stopped to continue it.
So, is there a way to do this without writing a macro and if yes, what is the correct procedure ? Or should I just restart spindle/dust collector manually before hitting "Start" ?

Thank you for your help.

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
Re: Pause, turn off spindle, jog & resume
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:56:44 AM »
1.feedstop
2. stop

bla bla bla

3. run from here
4. cycle start

I'm not at the machine but along this line it works. There will be a menu popping up and an option is the spindle start and coolant which is the signal I use for the dust collection.

Cheers
Rainer

Cut five times and still to short...

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »
Put an "Optional Stop" in your G code at your stop points.

M1 is optional stop, under Config->General make sure that the "Optional Stop" is checked.

So, when your machine sees the M1 it will stop at that point, until you cycle start it again.

scott
fun times

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:44:54 AM »
M1, cool Scott! Didn't know that. I will use that to set the feed speed reduction after the approach and before the cutting..... as it is fecked up with the smooth stepper...
Thanks!
Rainer
Cut five times and still to short...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 12:09:45 PM »
1.feedstop
2. stop

bla bla bla

3. run from here
4. cycle start

I'm not at the machine but along this line it works. There will be a menu popping up and an option is the spindle start and coolant which is the signal I use for the dust collection.

Thanks a lot, Rainer. I will try that tonight. I had tried the "run from here" several versions ago and got a "fairly bad experience" with it. So, I am a lot more cautious.
And by the way, I also use the coolant signal for the dust collection.

Put an "Optional Stop" in your G code at your stop points.

M1 is optional stop, under Config->General make sure that the "Optional Stop" is checked.

So, when your machine sees the M1 it will stop at that point, until you cycle start it again.

Thanks a lot too, Scott.
I thought about this but I don't know where I will have to stop. Depends a lot on how long visitors wants to see, when they ask questions, etc ...
So, I can't really prepare in advance and the M1 is not really very handy in this case. I was more looking for a 2 buttons/clicks solution (to start and resume) but I guess I will have to go with Rainer's solution.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
well not really, you can do this:

Open screen designer and make a custom button. In that button put this code. It will toggle the cycle start/m1 depending on the current condition of the cycle start LED status. 'This button will not work when you are in an Estop condition.

If GetOEMLED(804) Then      'if the machine is running
Code "M1"                           'then pause
Else
DoOEMButton(1000)            'if it is not running do a cycle start
End If

'scott
fun times
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »
well not really, you can do this:

Open screen designer and make a custom button. In that button put this code. It will toggle the cycle start/m1 depending on the current condition of the cycle start LED status. 'This button will not work when you are in an Estop condition.

If GetOEMLED(804) Then      'if the machine is running
Code "M1"                           'then pause
Else
DoOEMButton(1000)            'if it is not running do a cycle start
End If

'scott

Scott,
I really appreciate your support.
But ... I am kind of lost ... It's been too long without going into macros. I still know how to do this button but I am trying to understand what it will do when I click it. If I understand correctly, this is a 1 button solution. Click that will stop everything. Click that will restart everything. And, in between, I can jog anywhere and the machine will return to the correct position ? Is this correct ? Will the dwell time for the spindle still be there too ?
Looks like I'm going to play with macros tonight ... 8-)) !
Thanks again

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:00:13 PM »
all the button does is this.  If your machine is running Gcode, when you push it, it will go into an Optional Stop. when you press it again, it will activate the cycle start (or if the machine is currently NOT running it will push the Cycle start.

when you goto a M1, you can jog around if you want, BUT, when you hit the button to cycle start, the Prepositional move window will come on so you can put it back to where you left off.  OR, you could look at the corrdinates the M1 has stopped at and after you finish jogging around use the MDI to get back to it, or you can do more code to do all that automatically....

In a nutshell, it would be better to run the Gcode hit the toggle button, but dont jog it around. You can put a: Code "M3" as a line in the cycle start VB code.

scott
fun times
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »
This one is nice even to my project !

I would like to ask a probably simple question. In my machine I can have or not the vacuum running, and when I currenly press feedhold, then start, the vacuum and the coolant will not work again. Using the M1, will they work again or do I need to add some variable keeping if the vacuum or the coolant where on, so that they will start again after the pause?

Thanks