Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:09:41 PM

Author Topic: Large files  (Read 4834 times)

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
Large files
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »
Is there a G Code line limit in Mach3?

And is there a way to subsequently (batch) process .nc files?

I have a few rather large g code files and would love to split them and have them processed one after another.
But I do not want to run to the machine every twenty minutes....

Cheers
Rainer
Cut five times and still to short...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Large files
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:56:21 AM »
Limit is 10,000,000 lines.
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:43:21 AM »
Jimpinder came up with a fairly simple way of dealing with long files and his solution is reprinted here.

If you want to run more than 500 lines of code, then you must use sub-routines, and an editor, like Microsoft Word, to split your code into 500 line chunks. Word is best at this, becasue it automatically numbers the lines, and as you chop 450 - 500 off, it renumbers.

I did this on a 5000 line code for drill and milling a printed circuit board, and it worked a treat. The main prgram just called the 10 subroutines in order.

When you  feed it into mach 3 at the beginning, then, as Hood said, it goes through all the lines, and the subroutines, and paints a full picture.

A bit messy, but it works. Thank goodness I don't use long program.

If you have Microsoft Word this looks like a possible solution.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:17:17 AM »
Limit is 10,000,000 lines.
Hood

That will be enough.... cough cough..
I think switching the tool path display of solved my problem....
A message box popping up if more than a few thousand lines are loaded, offering a disable option,  would help the newcomer I think.

Rainer

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:18:52 AM »
Jimpinder came up with a fairly simple way of dealing with long files and his solution is reprinted here.

If you want to run more than 500 lines of code, then you must use sub-routines, and an editor, like Microsoft Word, to split your code into 500 line chunks. Word is best at this, becasue it automatically numbers the lines, and as you chop 450 - 500 off, it renumbers.

I did this on a 5000 line code for drill and milling a printed circuit board, and it worked a treat. The main prgram just called the 10 subroutines in order.

When you  feed it into mach 3 at the beginning, then, as Hood said, it goes through all the lines, and the subroutines, and paints a full picture.

A bit messy, but it works. Thank goodness I don't use long program.

If you have Microsoft Word this looks like a possible solution.

Tweakie.

Thanks for the input, but no, my amount of lines is beyond that.... It's 15MB of code.....

Sad that there is no batch processing. With the advent of more and more 3D stuff, it will be important real soon.

Rainer

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »
That hopefully will not be an issue in the next revision, Brian has been doing a lot of work in Mach and one the things is to seperate out the graphics from Mach so that it has no impact and works independantly.
Hood

vmax549

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »
THere really is no reason that you cannot build a batch file  processor for mach(;-)

Take a VB front end to ask for the file names and then VB can proccess till  end of file then start the next file ,etc,etc.

Just a thought,(;-) TP