Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 03:09:45 AM

Author Topic: Are there any such thing as pre-made programs?  (Read 6488 times)

Are there any such thing as pre-made programs?
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:13:23 PM »
I'm very new, and forgive me, but I want to know if there are pre made programs out there. Like designs and shapes(celtic knots, crazy figures, trees, whatever) already created, wrote up, and for sale. Like say you just bought a file or assortment of files, skipped the cad/cam process, and it was ready to pop into mach 3 and go. Don't get me wrong, I'm not lazy and I like playing with cad/cam, but was wondering about this from a business standpoint. I'm sure something like this must exist, I just don't know what the name for this is and where you find them. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Are there any such thing as pre-made programs?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
Yes, there are sites that sell pre-made designs. Here's a link to Vectrics site that has links to what your looking for. Should get you started.
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/links/useful_links.htm
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

vmax549

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »
HUM I can't say I have ever seen premade Gcode objects for sale. Plenty of artfiles that can be converted but not native gcode files.  One reason being there are MANY favors of Gcode that may or may not be fully compatible with each other.

SOunds like a very good niche market though. It could be a very good idea to market.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:06:26 PM »
Well, I learned of dxf files, which to my understanding are pre made programs that need converted to g code via cam or related software. I guess this is what I was referring to. They call it dxf art or dxf graphics. There seems to be endless designs in  dxf art. I never used this but would like to know how it works. I see Vectric has a ton of this and if you have any of their programs, you can just purchase a dxf image of whatever you want, and it will convert it to g code for you so you can machine the image. If I am wrong about any of this, someone please correct me. Thank you for your help.

vmax549

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 12:33:28 AM »
YOu have the general idea with the DXF art files (;-) TP

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 01:45:50 PM »
The link I posted above, contains links to other sites. The second link (Vector Art 3D) sells models, and gives the software away for free to convert the models to code.
"It will let you take "V3M" models, purchased from the Vector Art 3D website and in just a few minutes create toolpaths to efficiently cut them on your CNC machine."

The third link (Carve3D) states on the main homepage in the first paragraph...
"We provide service to anyone requiring 3D relief models for artistic manufacturing. If you have a CNC machine, router or engraver, then we can provide 3D Models or Toolpaths for you."

The first link (Vector Art) may do something similar as the other two, I have no idea.

I have never used any of these sites myself, so I can't give you any first hand experience.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 02:47:03 PM »
Thanks for that. I will check into it as I continue to get sucked deeper and deeper into this technological craziness! It's been very helpful.