Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:46:51 AM

Author Topic: mpg's and parallel ports  (Read 5286 times)

mpg's and parallel ports
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »
I would like to add a remote jog pendant to my cnc router. I only have one parallel port and it's tied up with the cnc controller. I see a usb driven pendant from Logitrol, but what other options do I have. Can I utilize my serial ports? Can I add a parallel port and is this easy? Thank you for all the help.
Re: mpg's and parallel ports
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
Consider getting a Contour ShuttlePro. It's about $85, has a very nice Mach plug-in, which is highly configurable, and works great as a pendant.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:56:27 PM »
Yeah, I actually did cruise by your site earlier this evening. I'll go back again and take another look. My first impression was your stuff seemed very high quality and mabye more industrial applicable. I'm a beginner with a small cnc router, and am in the process of getting it set up. I'm still awaiting the cad/cam software to arrive in the mail. I'll need a lot of guidance no doubt in the future. I forgot to mention that I am not familiar with Modbus or Mod IO. I only know what a parallel port and usb port is. I am not acquainted with any physical modifying of a computer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 11:00:36 PM by avirostick »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:52:08 PM »
XBOX is a slick option also.
RICH
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:19:41 AM »
Yeah. The xbox deal looks like it could be a winner. You can't beat the cost. I may end up doing that. It looks like it could be similar to a Shuttlepro. I would love to setup a 100 mpg pendant, but it looks like unless I install another parallel port, or learn what a Mod IO is, it ain't happening. I'll keep researching.

BClemens

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:43:51 PM »
An add-on parallel port is not tough at all to add to your computer. Check StarTech.com for IO PCI cards and even call them if you wish - they're good folks to deal with and will support your purchase with technical help and a very good warranty. Then you can use an 100 PPR MPG such as the MPG2 or 3 from CNC4PC.com that is simple and easy to set-up.

Bill C.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »
Thank you Bill. I will certainly look into that.