Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:09:55 AM

Author Topic: 'offline' Simulated Run  (Read 5762 times)

BClemens

'offline' Simulated Run
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
I've run across a snag... Attempting to run a simulation of a set-up and zeroed part, unless the code returns to the part to zero (all axis), Mach ends up at the end of the simulation with co-ordinates re-zeroed to that position - even machine zero is affected. So all is lost and the set-up must be started again from homing the machine. Tried this several times. Unless you input the corrected machine zero and part co-ordinates in the DRO's but didn't try that. Not too keen on inputting machine co-ordinates into the DRO's.

So, be careful with the 'offline' simulation. It would be nice if the simulation would return to it's starting point no matter where it was because that would eliminate this problem entirely. Many programs do not re-zero the tool, but just end the program at the end of the cut.

That is, unless I've missed some action needed when running a simulation (offline). This machine has such a short Z travel that the soft limit warning prompted me to run the simulation. The tool never moved but the co-ordinates did!

Bill C

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: 'offline' Simulated Run
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:51:37 AM »
Bill = I'm not sure what you mean when you say a simulated run.

I load GCode into my office computer, and run it there - there is no machine attached - and the computer will run the code and show me the output on the tool display.
Or are you meaning the "simulate program run" on the toolpath display screen.

If you are saying that you run a program, without a machine atached, (which I suppose would be fairly simple if you were using "smooth stepper" or similar) and when you re-attach your machine the actual position does not correspond to the dro's, well, I don't think it will, or can do, because Mach is not controling the machine if it is only a simulation. To keep accurate position, Mach 3 needs to start at a known point, and then it adds, or subtracts all moves from its Machine Co-ordinates position.The program display which we tend to watch, is the same display, but with all the offsets disregarded, so it bears a resemblance to the GCode program.

You could write down your Machine Co-ordinates before and then type them into the DRO's afterwards, which would put the machine and computer back at the right "place" so to speak, but the problem would be that Mach would have different offsets, etc in it from the program you simulated - so although your Machine Co-ordinates were OK, your Program Co'ordinates could well be off.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
Yeah I agree...I think when you go "OFFLine" Mach should return to that position when you return to "ONLine".
Like Jimpinder said you could write a simple VB script to do this.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »
Scrrenie out of useing Mach3 Mill manual.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

BClemens

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
I've added a couple of lines to the post processor end routine to return to part Zero after the run so the 'offline' run will put it back where it started. I just didn't know and kept losing fingers showing how I lost the first one. Now I know. Directions for operation is the last thing I intended to read! Dah!

Thanks for the help!
Bill C.