Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:27:49 AM

Author Topic: Strange Problem  (Read 3172 times)

Strange Problem
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
Hello all,
      I've been using this forum for a while now finding answers to questions I've been having...thank god it's searchable... but now I have one nobody has asked about yet. That I could find.
    I have a small MAXNC and I recently upgraded to Mach III a few weeks ago on a brand new pc that is running Windows XP (had to pay for the downgrade).  I figured it out for the most part but I've been having a reacurring problem that I can't figure out.  Sometimes while I'm jogging one of the axes seem to lose communication with the software. No error comes up and the position DRO's still count as if it's moving.  It is a seemingly random occurence that mostly happens while I'm jogging, so it was never too much of a problem until today when it happened while a program was running. (it was supposed to cut a circle but the y-axis wasn't moving so there was just a straigt line.) The toolpath was still following because MachIII thought the y-axis was moving...but it wasn't
     Any and all suggestions would be great.

Thanks
   mrvinny

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
I would suggest that you check the LPT connection between your computer and machine. A broken / intermittent connection on the Y axis step pin (whichever one you have chosen) could possibly cause this problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
Thanks..I switched the X-axis and Y-axis pins so if the x-axis starts failing on me then I'll know you were right.
I'll let you know if this doesn't work.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:06 AM »
Problem persists...in fact, it's worse now. I returned all of the pin selections to the origninal state. The y-axis stops every few minutes as opposed to every few hours now. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

-mrvinny

vmax549

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
You may havea a drive overheating and shutting down. Try switching drives to test.

(;-) TP