Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:24:16 AM

Author Topic: Help with Mach3 setup (newbie Q's)  (Read 8606 times)

Help with Mach3 setup (newbie Q's)
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »
I've got my PC setup with Mach 3 installed.  My SmoothStepper is also installed and working properly.  I'm about to start wiring up everything (Gecko G320's, encoders, glass scales, Hitachi VFD, E-stop, limit switches, etc).  Looking thru the Mach 3 guides I've come up with a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me out with...

I'm installing rotary encoders on my servo's which will provide the feedback to the Gecko's, pretty straight forward.  The machine also has glass scales installed that I plan to retain so that I can use the DRO when using the machine manually.  Originally I thought I had to use a sound logic encoder board from Rogers Machine (which I have purchased but not received yet) to accomplish this.  However, after reading the Mach 3 manual again, can't I just connect the glass scales to the differential inputs on the SS to do the same thing?  Or does the Encoder board come with some additional software?

Another question about the Sound Logic encoder board, does it just plug into one of the 26 pin headers on the SS board?  Or does it have to go back to the PC to a parallel port?

As far as inputs/outputs go for Mach 3, can I just choose whichever Port/Pin I need as long as I choose one that is assigned to an input or output as necessary?

Anyone know the connector part numbers needed to connect wiring directly to Port 1 on the SS board?

Thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mach3 setup (newbie Q's)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »
I'm installing rotary encoders on my servo's which will provide the feedback to the Gecko's, pretty straight forward.  The machine also has glass scales installed that I plan to retain so that I can use the DRO when using the machine manually.  Originally I thought I had to use a sound logic encoder board from Rogers Machine (which I have purchased but not received yet) to accomplish this.  However, after reading the Mach 3 manual again, can't I just connect the glass scales to the differential inputs on the SS to do the same thing?  Or does the Encoder board come with some additional software?
There are only 3 differential inputs on the SS but you could connect to them or for that matter any of the other Inputs but just single ended.The encoder interface board comes with a Plugin I believe which allows you to set up a following error to halt Mach if its exceeded then you can update the DROs from the encoders and carry on.

Another question about the Sound Logic encoder board, does it just plug into one of the 26 pin headers on the SS board?  Or does it have to go back to the PC to a parallel port?
It was originally meant to connect to a second parallel port so yes it just connects to Port2 on the SS.

As far as inputs/outputs go for Mach 3, can I just choose whichever Port/Pin I need as long as I choose one that is assigned to an input or output as necessary?
Yes just the same as you would have done if using the Parallel Port

Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:42 PM »
The SL encoder interface board showed up today.  Reading thru the info, it appears as though you can hook your rotary encoders up directly to the board, then output the encoder signal from the board to the Gecko's.  So when machining manually you retain the DRO's.  I didn't know this was possible with rotary encoders.  I thought you had to have a seperate method to monitor position (like glass scales).  Does it make sense to retain the glass scales and use both or should I remove the glass scales and only use the rotary encoders?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:31:39 AM »
The glass scales will give you the table position so it might be best to monitor them. 
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:39:39 AM »
Need help configuring Mach3, C11 breakout board and usb smooth stepper

I would have been glad to pay more for products with better less, elusive support...

All is connected and config. parameters for ports and pins seem to be done. however i cannot jog the motors? any idea why.

The DRO's do change but motors do not move.
lights on smooth stepper are on
lights "green" are on the keling stepping drives
should there be connections to the ena+ and ena- on the stepping control? no documents reference this

lights on C11 are on, should the output lights be on to enable the motors??

is there a setup document to show the parameters??

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:09:39 AM »
Ironically, I am having the same problem with a C23, SmoothStepper, Gecko G320's, and Keling Motors. I have followed the setup as best I can figure out, 'cept for SmoothStepper setup where the screens don't look anything like the docs!! I don't know if I have SmoothStepper setup right.

I have SmoothStepper driver and Plugin working, green light on SS lights when Mach starts, SmoothStepper set to power C23, estop string/limit/home setup working, I can reset Mach and led goes out, output lights lit on C23 Step/Dir pins, and C23 main Output light is lit. DRO in Mach moves, but motors don't move. On first hitting cursor up, motor clunks, but doesn't move, then nothing. I have tested AMT encoders with a scope and they work as expected. However, fault light on G320 doesn't come on on power up as it did before I connected motors, but there IS 72 volts at the drive.

I'll try more later, but frustrating for now!! I'll be monitoring this post for replies!!
--
Tom
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:25:40 AM »
my number is 732-682-0449 maybe we can help each other. i will be in after 3 today eastern time you could call me.

john

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
I won't be here 'til maybe 6PM Central, but if it's OK to call then, I will.
--
Tom
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
Please can someone help another newbie. i am trying to set an offset on the Z axis for use with a setting block.
There seems to be 2 Gage block height settings on the of set screen, do I set both or how do I set it up.
I know that there is probably a very simple answer.
regards,
Eugene.