Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:15:40 AM

Author Topic: Can "Direction" &"Steps" signals be saved and stored in physical "memory"?  (Read 4060 times)

Hi All:

This is just a brainstorm.

Since the role of Mach3 is: Translate G-code into signals of "Direction" and "Steps" to control stepper motors, Can those signals be saved and stored in a physical  "memory"? everytime, while push external "Start" button, CNC-machine run once,...just drectly use those signals.

Thanks,

Richard

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Whilst it may well be possible to route the LPT output to 'print to file' (as is done with plotters) the code produced (say a different alphabetical letter for each pin pulse) would be massive for even a simple GCode routine.

(I did try something similar to this a while back to convert 'Master CNC' step and direction outputs to GCode before I realized the size of the files produced).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
I suppose the answer must be yes, but as Tweakie says, with my system producing 60000 pulses per inch, I would end up with a lot of pulses.

A far better system would be a brain, of a short Macro which would produce the same result.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
I'm thinking if  signals of "Direction" and "Steps" can be saved in ROM (read-only-memory), directly used for controlling stepper motors, then we can make many complex motion stuffs.(such as complex motion toys for kids, kids just need push on-button.)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Hi Richard,

Would be nice wouldn't it - but as Jim has just implied saving 60k of pulses for every inch of movement for each axis you would need one big ROM.

Tweakie.
PEACE
I'd still like a testing, because ROM or flash memory is very cheap today , it's not easy to move  a computer (G-code/software)  anywhere we want.

Could somebody tell me how to do that testing?

Regards,

Richard