Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:38:39 AM

Author Topic: Plasma cut holes question ( plasma experts welcome! )  (Read 5536 times)

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Plasma cut holes question ( plasma experts welcome! )
« on: December 27, 2005, 02:01:31 AM »

Hey all, I am building a BIG 5axis gantry router, and on the X steel support beams I have 5 cross braces that will bolt to it, and bolt to the other side of the X. I am going to have to drill and tap 36 holes on each side and I was thinking about building a walking cnc bot to make the holes for me. Basically my plan is to build a little "car" that drives on the rail and has a Y slide axis to mount the plasma torch to. Basically it will ride along the beam (X) and it will have a slide for (Y) with a plasma to cut the holes for me,  I am going to treat it like a 12' x 6" cnc plasma cutter.

My question is what happens to the edges of the plasma cut hole? Does it get heat treated via the cutting? Will this affect the ability to tap the hole afterward? I also have to drill and tap a zillion holes for the linear slides so I think the bot should save me a bunch of time.

Chad

Re: Plasma cut holes question ( plasma experts welcome! )
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 06:48:01 PM »
I think you have a good idea! But I think if you are going to tap the hole you should think about drilling the holes... I have never tried to tap a plasma hole but I have cut plasma cuts on the mill. HSS Mills do not last long cutting a plasma cut...

Hope that helps
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 09:47:01 PM »
If you have to tap, you have a vertical rotary spindle of some sort, so it just makes sense to use that same spindle to drill as well. It's not like you could, or would, hand tap all those holes. Use a spiral pointed tap to force the chip ahead of the tap and you never have to back it out to clear it. Typically gas cut and plasma cut edges get harder than the surrounding metal, even when they are mild steel, and a plasma cut hole isn't likely to be too round since you have to pierce the steel to start, with the plasma anyway.

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 12:10:09 AM »
Yea I think you guys ar right, that is what I was afraid of. hhhm back to the drawing board. i guess i will just go rent one of those magnetic beam drill presses. 119 holes drilled and tapped for the linear slides + 36 for the support rails * 2 = pain in the a**. not to mention the Y and Z...

lol, what ya gonna do?

chad