Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:38:01 PM

Author Topic: Wrapper and toolpath view  (Read 17662 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Wrapper and toolpath view
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 12:41:37 PM »
Ok, just an update, I did NOT have "Use Diameter for Feedrate" checked and while it definitely smooths things out much more, there's still a difference in feedrate ratio from the A to the X but , as mentioned above, I do believe that it is due to my table ratio being 72:1, but it works great and I'm very happy with the whole setup.

Thanks again, Greg and thanks to Sage for starting this thread to begin with-  8)
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »
Hello Glenn,
   That Cobra gear reducer and other like it are probably not what you want. The input shaft at the motor end is totally UNSUPPORTED by any bearing, if it's like the ones I have. And it looks so in the pic. They are designed to be bolted to the face of the motor and aligns itself to the motor shaft and the motor bearing. There is nothing in the reducer but a seal.
   You could make an adapter with a bearing but it would be a lot of work.
I'd look for one with 2 bearings on the input shaft.
Been there....
RC

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »
Sorry for taking so long to get back with a reply but there's been a lot of activity on this topic in the last day. That's good.
Looks like you got it figured out Dave judging by your results.
I was successful as well.
I'm was using a 1/16 mill in Aluminum so I wasn't looking to go too fast, just a few ipm max. I like to take it easy.
I noticed that curves were not very smooth. I cut an "S" and it's pretty choppy. It could be I was taking too deep a cut (15thou)and the cutter was flexing. I'll have to try it again.

Your job with the word TAIG looks really nice Dave. What cutter were you using and also depth and speed would be nice to know for reference.
I also created the text with Autocad and rotated it before sending it through wrapper so the text went across (around) the end of the bar instead of along the length. I'm not sure of the quality of Auocad text.
I also had to edit the G-code a bit to pick upthe tool between letters because Autocad had left them linked for some reason.
I also had to change the default feed rate and add a separate feedrate for plunges.

What did you use to create the text?

Sage 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:49:49 PM by Sage »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »
Hi Sage,

I actually used a 30 degree .005" tip engraving cutter from ONSRUD and went about 7 IPMs, but obviously that varied when the X axis cut across the straight parts. I only went .005" deep and I'm using VCarve Pro to draw out the text. I've given up on LazyCam as I just couldn't deal with the finicky-ness of it all. VCarve is quite possibly the best CAM software I've tried and can't praise it enough, and the support over there is amazing as well.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 09:23:55 PM »
Hi Sage,

Thanks for starting this topic, I'm sorry for jumping in and walking all over
your conversations, I re-read all the posts and I was Rude!!
  I was just very Excited with the interesting 4th axis talk, so I just shot before I
thought. My apologies friend. (by the way, I use vcarve pro also, it really is that good!)

RC,
Thanks man ;) There are no shortcuts. Understood.

Very good subject and information gentlemen!
 Glenn
Don't assume anything.....it'll make a Manager out of U and Me!

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 01:52:07 PM »
Hey no problem. I got my answer and I thought we were all done. The diversion to a new topic resulted in more information for all. That's always good.

Sage