Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:32:30 PM

Author Topic: Wrapper and toolpath view  (Read 17661 times)

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
Wrapper and toolpath view
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:34:58 AM »
I'm using the Wrapper sotware to machine some text onto a cylinder. Although I've set all the parameters in Mach according to the wrapper software HELP  I can't get the Mach toolpath display to show a cylinder with the text as it says it should in the wrapper help. The toolpath is  just some sort of flattened X,Y,Z display. No A axis shown. I think the machining is going to be correct judging by air cutting movement but it would be nice to see it properly in the toolpath.
Ive set Mach:
Config/toopath/ A-rotations checked and Axis of rotation X checked.
Confg/general config/ rotational - Rotate 360 rollover unchecked.

Anything I'm missing.

Sage

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Wrapper and toolpath view
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:25:56 PM »
I dont know much about the 4th axis but wondering if you have A axis checked as Angular?
Hood

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »
Hood:

Yes A-axis is set to angular.
One strange thing is I went back a few minutes ago to play abit more. I loaded the file again and it showed up fine as a curved surface in the small toolpath display and seems to rotate fine as I ran the code. Then because it was a bit small I went to the big toolpath diaplay and even after regenerating it there was no way to get it to show properly. I went back to the small display and now it too was screwed up. I shut Mach down, started it again and check all the settings and still I can't get it to show up properly again. Only that once it showed properly.

The file is attached. Maye someone else can comment. It is the letters TSME. It should show on the toolpath as a slightly curved toolpath so it may require some pushing around with the mouse to see it all properly.

Thanks

Sage

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »
This is how it shows up here, does that look correct?
If you want to attch your xml I will have a look.
Hood

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »
I am not at the computer I have doing 4th axis right now so can't check all I have set.

However I do know that the diameter that is set in "Rotation Diameters" affects how it is displayed in the toolpath window.

Not sure if this is intended but it does.

Greg

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »
Hi, Sage

As Greg stated, Do you have a value set in Setting's, Rotation Diameters for the A axis.

Chip

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 07:03:21 PM »
hi Sage,
  using your settings, here is what I get...wraps around too many times  :P
  I've been interested in 4th quite some time, and with your setings, you have shown me how to get this far! Almost
 there!
  Thanks, Glenn
Don't assume anything.....it'll make a Manager out of U and Me!

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 07:59:40 PM »
Sage

using ver 3.043 here.i posted my settings.your file looks good here.i took the liberty of editing the rapids in the file.but that had nothing to do with the view.

bill

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »
here is the rest

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 08:27:31 AM »
Thanks everyone:

docltf:
 I set what you have stated and it looks fine now. Now all I have to do is remember the settings.
What else will the rotation diameter affect ?

The next question is:

My rotary axis work fine for other purposes so far - accurate and reliable. The parameters for it are:
300 oz/in NEMA 23 200 step motor with Gecko set for microsteps (2000 steps per rev of stepper). Fits on the table and still allows normal mounting of table to mill without motor interference.
The rotary table has 90:1 ratio
I calculated the following settings for motor tuning to balance missed steps on acceleration and enough power under load.
360deg / 90 = 4 degrees per rev
2000steps for 4 degrees means 2000/4 = 500 steps per degree therefore settings are:
Steps per = 500
Velocity = 669
Accel = 9 

For normal use the rotary table is fine although a bit slow on G0's but I find it missing steps under load if I speed it up. I'm not in a hurry. But maybe I've missed something here.

The problem is with the code from the wrapper program. It has only a fixed F60 which is rediculously fast for the X axis and too slow for the A axis. 60 for A is almost not moving.
For the lnes of code with X and A on the same line it actually results in a feed of about F2 for the two combined because the A movements are slowing down the X. F2 is about what I'd like to use for a 1/16 cutter.
 Editing the code to put different feeds for each line is the only solution but not reasonable. ( I tried it).

So the question is (after all that):
Is there something I've done wrong with the settings for A or is there something else that can be tweeked  to make the A axis work better for wrapper.

Sage

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:06:01 AM by Sage »