Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 10:51:06 PM

Author Topic: Gerber .GPX vs .GPI,import  (Read 11490 times)

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
Gerber .GPX vs .GPI,import
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:27:56 PM »
I think it's okay to post this question here since it involves LCam ; I use Eagle to lay out PCBs and thought it might be nice to see what happens in importing a gerber file that Eagle's CAM generates and when I went to import into LCam,I realize that the supported Gerber in LCam,is a .GPX. Eagle is putting out ,GPI.
Anyone use Eagle and LCam and have had success. Anytips concerning this application using Eagle would be appreciated.-Keith
Re: Gerber .GPX vs .GPI,import
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 06:46:35 PM »
Keith . I played for while with Eagle and Lazy Cam , and I have some success and problems also. I could export HPGL file to Lazy Cam and it displays all traces (outlines) of a board correct regardless of complexity of PCB, but generated G Code is limited 1000 lines. I played with different designs and always had the same result. I posted note about this issue as I don’t know it is error or demo limits. If you need some additional information about exporting HPGL outline files, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Vladimir

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 07:04:51 PM by vladimir059 »

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 10:00:41 AM »
Thanks Vladimir,I finally got around to trying the .HPGL and yes if you're not licensed (it is only the limit of the demo,if you look the code is there but won't be executed) I can see where these files generated could easily go over the 1000 line limit but the point of that is these files really are unnecessarily big.So I was hunting around and found a nice buried .ULP in Eagle and man what a beautiful thing. The files are 'tight' and small. The .ULP is called pcb-gcode and it's in the newer, Eagle free download.Just don't use the old version of it which isn't that great. The new one 'screams' and is a thing of beauty and Mach3 loves it.-Keith
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:03:40 PM »
You list off the file extentions that you need it to open as a gerber and I will add them. I am not a PCB guy :(
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 01:02:30 PM »
Hey Brian,yeah .GPI is what the CAM in Eagle,(this has become one of the most popular and powerful,I have no affiliation, PCB CADs puts out in another ,starting to become defacto gerber generation segment(there are actually many Gerber configurations)called GERBER_RS274X. But still,most of these files generated get pretty big and I suggest anyone interested in using Mach3 for this purpose to get a license because most boards will easily surpase 1000 lines.And if you try and minimize the geometry,it most likely will screw up the nuances of the board. At the moment,LCAM will not make good use of being able to utilize the 'image' import in LCAM that Eagle can put out as a .BMP,last I checked.-Keith

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »
Hi, Keith

What version of Eagle are you using.

Thank's Chip

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:10:10 PM »
Hey Chip,I'm using 4.11r2 because the things that are important haven't changed much in the latest...I think it's around 4.16 by now...version. CadSoft promised me a few 'goodies' but never delivered (I wantedd to be able to cut and paste 'info' data into the 'text entry' command line).-Keith
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 07:19:10 PM »
Keith there is a new version on the FTP{ server that you can check... I added the .gpi files.. Uploading now
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 08:15:45 PM »
Nice,thanks Brian.-Keith
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 08:40:05 PM »
Hello Keith! Where did you find pcb-gcode.ulp file? I have Eagle 4.16r1 version and I couldn’t find such file. I checked up Eagle website and found nothing. Can you upload this file for me , please.
Vlad
 ::) ::) ::)