Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 12:41:29 AM

Author Topic: BETTER SET-UP INFO PLEASE !  (Read 5679 times)

BETTER SET-UP INFO PLEASE !
« on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
 ???
I could really appreciate some more set-up info for the spindle blending with SS. There are so many things in the set-up that I feel I'm guessing at it and It is not working correctly.
What I am up against is that I can't tune my spindle into SS, I try, and I get a message that there was a lack of comm beyond time allowance and then it drops the driver and tells me it is not even there and I must reboot to get it to talk again with mach. I am not sure what is going on at this time and don't have enough info to develope a plan as to what it is and how to solve it. When I reboot system and get it on line I can then drive machine, home, and do all I want except start the spindle. It seems to fault out before the spindle even gets up to speed, I do have to take up to 6 sec to get to top speed and SS doesn't seem to like that. What do I look for ! I had the spindle working fine before but now No. I am using the latest of downloads as of yesterday and new puter with AMD phenum 3000 hz, xp striped, SS on pc power, All fresh set-up !
CRUISER
  Don
Re: BETTER SET-UP INFO PLEASE !
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »
OK, I firgured out that there was something else getting in the way and that the set-up is quite strait forward ! My main problem was that when my old computer crashed it took all the info with it and I had too many things going on at one time. Plus I found a broken ground wire which was giving me fits. Thanks for all the wonderfull help any ole way !
CRUISER
  Don
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
Hello Don,
  I'm really glad that you got this figured out on your own. Wish I could have helped.
And THANKS for posting the solutions to your problem, that was very considerate of you.
Regards,
RC
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »
Its been really frustrating with me to get everything running smoothly, BUT ! Now that it is all done I can say that it should have never been this difficult. If I had my previous info intact and no faulty grounds to contend with that the conversion to the SS would have indeed been quite quick and totally painless. It pretty much installs itself, but I didn't know that at the time and didn't know why It was being such a PIA. It might help for the sake of trouble shooting to have a few simple definitions added to the info so we 1d10ts can sooner find the right path when something gets in the way of progress. I'm glad I went the SS route now and feel like taking the day off and relaxing.
Regards
CRUISER
  Don
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
Great news Don, as I have the SS but have yet to hook it up. I follow all I can in post's like yours for the very reason that you describe.
Thanks again,
You deserve a break.
R "1d10t" C
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »
I guess that since this thread started off on the wrong foot I should say some for a follow up on what I'm seeing. I spent a couple days doing some re-alligning and re-tramming of collumn and spindle head till everything was a good as I could get it and also doing some internal programming of my vfd to shorten the accel and decel times. Yesterday I started making chips and I continued today also modifying the program to run my tapmatic in the program and All I can say is that everything with only one exception is running so smoothly that I'm really impressed. My rapids on z went from 110 to 118 IPM and my x & y are now at 140 from 120 IPM. Some of this is from new adjustments but there is no way of going past 135 @ 45,000hrz in mach and before it would fault and today it was very stable, on the SS ! Did I say that right ? At any rate, I measured some parts and without backlash available everything was easy within .001 which is about right as my lost motion on x & y was only half a thou each. And the one exception I mentioned is that now when my VFD gets warmed up it will occasionally fault out when spindle stop is commanded. I'll have to work on that one, I have a JRB breaking resistor to incorportate into the hitachi L200, but don't know how yet and I hope that is the source of the fault, just expecting too much, and want more !
CRUISER
  Don

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:09:25 AM »
It could be needing the resistor but just as a test try commanding a M5S0 rather than just the M5 to see if it still faults.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 12:22:45 PM »
I'll try that, I did turn on the braking pretty hard and it only does it after it warms up, admitadly I don't fully understand what is needed to keep it ballanced.
thanks for the reply
CRUISER
  Don