Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:40:19 PM

Author Topic: Geckos Faulting  (Read 4361 times)

Geckos Faulting
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:44:12 PM »
We ran without issue for almost a year, then when we started having trouble with the gecko drivers faulting and the machine re-zeroing we got some advice to back down our max velocities and accelerations.   We have done that twice and each time it works for about 6 hours of run time then the same thing starts happening again.
Re: Geckos Faulting
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »
Would help a lot if we knew *what* Geckos.  Steppers or servos?  G201?  G203?  G540?  G320?  G340?  Other?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 04:14:41 AM »
Ditto - and what exactly is the fault - do they keep stopping??

What are your temperatures like after  6 hours continuous work, or does the temperature at that particular time of day rise. Dont know where you are or what it is you are doing - but I see Iron Works  - phew!

Have you tried ringing Ghecko, I think they are pretty helpful.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
we are running geckodrive servo 6320 on a plasma cutter. I don't think we have ever run 6 continuous yet, but as for overheating not sure how to check that other than put my hand on them and none have ever been hot. the problem has mostly been with the "y" axis. We will be running through a pattern then in the exact same spot every time the gecko will fault. It doesn't stop it just re-zoroes at that point and continues cutting the part.

Thanks for the info
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:17:08 AM »
we are running geckodrive servo 6320 on a plasma cutter. I don't think we have ever run 6 continuous yet, but as for overheating not sure how to check that other than put my hand on them and none have ever been hot. the problem has mostly been with the "y" axis. We will be running through a pattern then in the exact same spot every time the gecko will fault. It doesn't stop it just re-zoroes at that point and continues cutting the part.

Thanks for the info

Faulting on a G320 is the result of either over-current, or excessive following error. 

Do you know how the current limit is set?  If it is set low, it could be your machine has gotten tighter over time, so the motors have to work harder, hence draw more current.  You could try turning the current limit up higher, and see if the problem goes away.

If the fault is due to following error, that suggests the Gain/Damping tuning on the Geckos is incorrect, and should be re-done.  The fact that the fault occurs at the same point in the program every time strongly suggests this is the problem.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.