Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:55:45 AM

Author Topic: Spindle?  (Read 11883 times)

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
Spindle?
« on: February 25, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »
Hi ,
I am building my machine CNC, for milling, specially for wood. I would like to add another axes for turning the workpiece.

when I red the manual for configuring the Mach3 turn, I found that I need something called a Spindle that i ignore what it is.
This is spindle must be controlled by mach3 , etc..
question is, Should I have to buy a spindle? or a simple motor can do what spindle does? or could I use a stepper motor to replace the spindle which would be controlled by mach3? its speed, step an direction etc..?

thanks in advance, hoping that I am clear.. hope so.
Robhi

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »
Afraid I am not clear what you are meaning, if it is a mill you have and you are just wanting to rotate the work slowly so that you can mill as the work revolves then you are wanting a 4th axis, you will need a servo or stepper motor to rotate it and you will set it up as the A axis.
Hood

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »
Hello every body
Thanks Hood and of you, :)
Exactly as you mentioned, it is a mill, but I would like to rotate the work .
But this kind of machine will do the same work as a machine for turning (lathe)?
In other words, could I use the same G code in both mach3Mill and Mach3turn?

Hoping am a little bit more clear than before.. :)
Robhi

BClemens

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 03:58:39 PM »
No, the programs don't interchange because the of axis change between the two. Z axis on a vertical mill (what you are configuring) is vertical and it is horizontal on the lathe. You would rotate a part in either X (the most usual) or Y and call it 'A' on a mill. (of course you can call it anything you like but the post processor would need to be configured to make that designation). Yes you can do lathe work on a mill but the program must be processed for the mill and rotate the part in A - as Hood explained.

Bill C.

More...working as you wish to on the milling machine is configured two ways: The Post processor will rotate the part in X or Y axis (A) and feed in Z into the part. So the program is either Y,Z and A or X, Z and A. The other axis is not needed in a basic rotating part - X or Y as stated.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:09:54 PM by BClemens »

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »
Hi, thanks BClemens  :),

I will take all what you and Hood said in consideration. I will try to do so and of course let you know. ;)
Thanks a lot
Robhi

BClemens

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:16:08 PM »
Again, you can configure your machine any way that you wish, but a nonstandard set-up is very unfriendly to standard programming. If you do all your own programming you will do OK but when you wish to transpose a program to run on a non standard machine, you'll see the good reason for a standard set-up. (a man named Ray L. explained that well on this forum the other day)

Bill C.

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »
Hello,

As I understood, when someone likes to build his own machine lathe, he need one stepper motor for  the X axis, another for
the Z axis. The other motor, or stepper motor (the rotary one) is called Spindle to rotate the work. could I use a stepper motor for this (Spindle) or could I use a 3 phased motor with a converter? I have already one that I control its speed. in the mean time, I would like that Mach3 control its speed, specially its step and direction..is it possible or am writing, thinking nonsense..
thanks a lot
Robhi

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
If you want to control the Step/Dir as a precise axis then you will need either a servo or a stepper.
Hood

Offline Robhi

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
Hello,
Thank you Hood and all of you,

So all what I need (for the spindle) is  one stepper motor and one G201 for example? and of course a head for connecting all together....LOL That's all what i need? am I right? or Need I something else?

Thanks
 Robhi

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 04:04:17 PM »
Yep thats it, as long as a stepper will provide the speed and torque you require. Problem with steppers is the torque falls off quickly at higher speeds, a better option would be a servo but its more expensive so if you dont need to constant torque and speed of a servo the stepper may be the best bet.
Hood