Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:59:38 AM

Author Topic: Output turning on when Mach3 shutsdown  (Read 3342 times)

Output turning on when Mach3 shutsdown
« on: February 23, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
I have looked around through the posts, and although I expect that this has been covered before, I cannot find anything on it.  I am still doing some of the final touches on my build, and I just hooked up the router.  I am driving a set if relays with Pin 14.

Pin 14 tied directly to a solid state relay (Magnecraft 861 style).  3-32VDC Control, 24-280VAC load.
That relay is tied to a pair of contactors (1 for the 12amp router, the other to be used for a dust collector).  That relay is a 120VAC control, 120VAC SPST electromechanical relay.

Everything appears to work fine when the system is booting and when Mach3 is loaded.  The relay stays off - just like it is supposed to.  When I request the router to activate using gcode, the led on the SSR turns on, the electromechanical relay turns on, and the router turns on.  When I request the router to turn off, everything turns off.

HOWEVER, when I shutdown Mach3, the relays fire momentarily.   Long enough to visually see the LED turn on, and hear the electromechanical relays fire.  In total, it is less than a second - but they definitely fire.

I do not know if this is an issue, but I am using the Smooth Stepper board.

Help.
Re: Output turning on when Mach3 shutsdown
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:26:01 PM »
Are you using a Breakout Board (BOB)?  If so, which one?  Does it have a charge pump?  Are you using it?  This is exactly the type of problem the charge pump is supposed to preclude.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
Ray,

Yes I am using a BOB - and I am using the charge pump.

However, as a double check ... I bypassed the SmoothStepper and used the parallel port directly.  I only have the problem with the SmoothStepper board.

I guess I will post this on Warp9's forum.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:03:28 AM »
The opening and closing sequences of computers vary, and therefore the outputs on the various pins vary, so sometimes they will be on, and turn off, or vica versa.

The only safe way it to keep all your auxilliaries turned off, until your computer is up and running, and you have Mach 3 on the screen. Mach 3 then has control of all the outputs before you turn them on.

Mine will turn the spindle over 1 rev as the computer starts if I turn the VFD and Digispeed on first - its a bit of a ******* if I left the chuck key in. I soon learned.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.