Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:36:54 PM

Author Topic: $20 ebay PCMCIA parallel port that works with mach  (Read 11871 times)

$20 ebay PCMCIA parallel port that works with mach
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:42:39 AM »
  Figured I would post this for those searching for such info.  I searched extensively and found a post on cnczone over a year old where someone used a cheapo pcmcia card with success.

First, I realize laptops and add on pcmcia parallel ports are not recommended with mach BUT there are many using them with success.  My HP laptop actually puts out cleaner pulses than my desktop did.  Of course I had to disable all the power management features.  I now have the cnc bug bad and am going to be adding a VFD, another stepper axis, a tool touch plate and more to come I am sure but was out of pins on the bob.

Here is a link to the $20 board.   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370146495921

I installed it per the directions and it installed as LPT3 at address FCE8 which I found could not be changed.  So, I just entered that address into mach's port 2 address and tested.   I ran my present mill setup from it just fine, no apparent problems. Motors, spindle relay, coolant, all worked just fine.

Figured this info may be usefull to those searching.   I'll post it on the yahoo group also.
Re: $20 ebay PCMCIA parallel port that works with mach
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:55:24 AM »
Thats an old link now. Has anyone got a PCMCIA parallel adapter to work please? I know you have Sparky, cheers. Anyone else? I have a Express Card Parallel Adapter like this one...

http://www.usbnow.co.uk/PCMCIA,_Express_&_PCI_Cards-Express_Cards/c7_28/p729/Parallel_Port_Express_Card_Adapter_with_DB26_-_DB25_cable/product_info.html

Is the criteria has to be 5v instead of 3.3v?

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:48:52 AM »
The card I got DID have and come with a driver which I used.   The big thing is to determine the cards address and enter that into mach.   Your card might be a totally different beast.   As for the 5V vs 3.3 that all depends on what hardware the card is interfacing to.   I connected to a BOB that was fully compatible with 3.3V.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I might give it a go this weekend, let you know if it works. Cheers
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
  Figured I would post this for those searching for such info.  I searched extensively and found a post on cnczone over a year old where someone used a cheapo pcmcia card with success.

First, I realize laptops and add on pcmcia parallel ports are not recommended with mach BUT there are many using them with success.  My HP laptop actually puts out cleaner pulses than my desktop did.  Of course I had to disable all the power management features.  I now have the cnc bug bad and am going to be adding a VFD, another stepper axis, a tool touch plate and more to come I am sure but was out of pins on the bob.

Here is a link to the $20 board.   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370146495921

I installed it per the directions and it installed as LPT3 at address FCE8 which I found could not be changed.  So, I just entered that address into mach's port 2 address and tested.   I ran my present mill setup from it just fine, no apparent problems. Motors, spindle relay, coolant, all worked just fine.

Figured this info may be usefull to those searching.   I'll post it on the yahoo group also.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 12:53:15 PM »
any one using a usb parallel port adapter?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »
any one using a usb parallel port adapter?

They dont work, USB is not suitable for timing that is needed for the step pulse.
Hood