Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:02:15 PM

Author Topic: Swarf in Keyboard and Mouse!! Ahhhh!  (Read 12503 times)

Swarf in Keyboard and Mouse!! Ahhhh!
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »
Dear All, I'm getting really bothered by swarf in the keyboard and mouse with my CNC lathe setup (ORAC + MACH3).

Its shielded but the sharp, springy and keyboard-deadly stuff gets everywhere. I even had an unexpected event (i.e. crash :'() when a bit of swarf lodged in the side of the jog key and held it down!!

I just wondered what the more established users do to solve this problem. ;D

I'm thinking vertical keyboard with integrated roller ball - but I expect its uncomfortable to use?

Any pics, advice and suggested products greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Woody.
Re: Swarf in Keyboard and Mouse!! Ahhhh!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:03:45 PM »
Buy a sealed, industrial keyboard.  They show up on E-Bay periodically.  Mine was $40, and is liquid-tight, so totally oblivious to chips, coollant, oil, etc.  For the mouse, get an optical mouse, so no little ball to clog up.  A trackball will still be subject to chips getting into it.  Or, you can use a joystick, trackpad, etc.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »
I've been needing a swarf-proof keyboard myself. I was going to try a silicone one. Obviously, they wouldn't hold up to hot chips, but that wouldn't be a concern to me. It would be easy enough to make a solid platform for them.  For 10-15 bucks shipped, I may try one.
http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/Flexible__W0QQ_sacatZ158842
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:15:33 PM by Sam »
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
I've been needing a swarf-proof keyboard myself. I was going to try a silicone one. Obviously, they wouldn't hold up to hot chips, but that wouldn't be a concern to me. It would be easy enough to make a solid platform for them.  For 10-15 bucks shipped, I may try one.
http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/Flexible__W0QQ_sacatZ158842

Sam,

Those things work, but the feel is HORRENDOUS!  Maybe OK for pushing the occassional key to control the machine, but typing, even a little bit, on one is just awful.  You're much better off waiting for a decent industrial sealed keyboard to come up on E-Bay. They come around quite often, and are usually $40-60.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »
I use the silicone style keyboard on my lathe and although the feel of them is not great I dont find it that bad. However I dont use the keyboard that much, I will do small edits to the code at the lathe but anything more and I will use the desktop computer.
 I have a Storm Keyboard and trackball to fit to the lathe at some point, both are IP65 and have a very nice feel. At the moment I use a touch pad on both the Bridgeport and the lathe and also they have touch screens, no way I would have a mouse but thats just a personal thing.
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »
I bought one of those silly silicon roll up keyboards and it works great for the purpose.

As HimyKabibble states, It's not something you want to do a lot of typing on  ;)  , but like Hood, I do 99% of my work on a separte (and powerful) desktop machine and just shoot the finished G-code to the machine tool, so I don't care how weird the keyboard feels, so long as it survives tha chips and oil.

So far so good.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »
i use this one, it is not cheap but has integrated mouse and is strong and washable

http://www.ruggedtech.com/symcod.html

if you don't need the integrated mouse i think the 9.00$ flexible keyboard will do the job fine
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:15:36 AM »
Dear All,
i crushed my keyboard yesterday, most probably  while blowing out the swarf using compressed air :)

i got a new one for myself  and it has PS/2 connector.
The problem is while my cnc router running , the keyboard sends charecters to the PC randomly. It was forcing my PC to go standby or jog or open other windows applications.
And most supricing, i found my motor output pin configuration changed to  port 1 to port 2.
 I used my cnc keyboard pluged off while running motors  last night and it worked.
I ll get a USB keyboard soon, i hope its all about with PS/2 connectors.

Did you have any problem such that?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 03:26:51 AM »
gyurudogru

Can you attach your xml please.
Hood

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 03:37:17 AM »

Those things work, but the feel is HORRENDOUS! 
 Maybe OK for pushing the occassional key to control the machine, but typing, even a little bit, on one is just awful.

Been using a silicone keyboard for years.  Can't imagine using anything else.  $10 chicken feed.

Only control a machine with it, not writing a novel.  ;)

Greg