Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:23:14 AM

Author Topic: Need help again, programming portion (using the wizard)  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Mute

•  10 10
    • View Profile
Need help again, programming portion (using the wizard)
« on: July 23, 2006, 03:48:11 PM »
OK, thanks to a very cool guy that goes by papa bear (cant remember which forum) I got everything rolling pretty good.

I do sometimes have to keep changing the stepper values (from 20000 to 40000) but I can live with that, long as I remember to check it on each boot up).

My problem this time around (in mach3 turn) is in the simple threading wizard. Heres a screen shot of the values I am putting in..

The diameter of the aluminum bar I am trying to thread is 1.625. not really worried about it being used so the 2 threads per inch I have on the screen is fine by me, this is just supposed to be a test after all..

Anyway, I touch off on the part and tell the program that that point is +.8125 (on the od, center of the part is supposed to be 0 right?) and since I am a wuss i set Z0 at .100 past the end of the part.

Start the program and the tool is making the threads like it should, but dang near .250 away from the part.. so Im just cutting air..

Anyone see what I am doing wrong? This kind of thing is happening with all the wizards I have tried so far..

Offline Mute

•  10 10
    • View Profile
Re: Need help again, programming portion (using the wizard)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »
er, typo up above, 20 threads per inch..

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Re: Need help again, programming portion (using the wizard)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 06:05:14 PM »
The threading wizard is referring to diameter, do you have diameter checked on the setup? also, although the wizard is in diameter, the actual cut depth is in radius, so be careful of that or you will get a double depth cut. Run the thread without material in the chuck and note the cut depths in each pass, that they aren't too large. Most tools and materials work well with a .010" first pass, and I use the smallest pass at.001", and one cleanup cut as well.