Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:56:03 PM

Author Topic: Greenhouse automation with Mach3  (Read 5508 times)

Greenhouse automation with Mach3
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:58 PM »
Hello guys...

quick question...

Can mach 3 switch outputs on and off depending on what time of day and what day of the week it is?

I ask, because a friend of mine wants to automate a greenhouse... and i was wondering if mach could be used in the application.

He has not given details on what exactly he wants... but im pretty sure its just a monitoring of some sensors, and the control of some outputs governed by at what time they turn on, and for how long.

Best regards
Fernando

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse automation with Mach3
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »
Yea you could VB has Time and Date functions that you can do Time stuff..........

But

It would be easier and cheaper to just use a PLC, like an ADC DL05 (99 bucks) 8 inputs 6 outputs and an expansion slot, or a DL06 ADC 20 in, 16 out plus 4 expansion slots for 200 bucks.....

there is a new "click" PLC that is even cheaper from ADC but I have never used it.

scott
fun times
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »
Hello guys...

quick question...

Can mach 3 switch outputs on and off depending on what time of day and what day of the week it is?

I ask, because a friend of mine wants to automate a greenhouse... and i was wondering if mach could be used in the application.

He has not given details on what exactly he wants... but im pretty sure its just a monitoring of some sensors, and the control of some outputs governed by at what time they turn on, and for how long.

Best regards
Fernando

You're describing a common household lawn sprinkler timer...
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:09:54 AM »
Thanks Ray _ I think you have put it into context, Mach 3 is brilliant at what it does becasue it is designed for just that.

I was thinking, however, to mount  a solar panel on an X,Y movable platform then use Mach 3 to drive the leadscrews (principally becasue I think I have learnt a lot about mach 3) and I have the leadscrews spare when I put ball scews on my lathe.

There are various articles on the net about sunangle, and how to work in out, and I thought I might build one during the summer for an experiment, comparing the output with a fixed installation on my roof.

The only thing I am stuck for is the equation for the VB to work out the sunangle. There are many little programs on the net will do it for you, but no explanation with them.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
Yea I thought about using just a plc, but he wants an HMI where he can see whats going on and change the times and timers.

And to be honest i dont know how to do that with just a plc!

If you can recomend an easy HMI i could start learning about i would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!!
Fernando

BClemens

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
HMI

6" mono slim panel, by EZ Touch I think they are around 300 and go good with ADC PLCs

scott
fun times

BClemens

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:25:56 AM »
Money's no object? Try this one....http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/iGrow-1400-Greenhouse-Controller/productinfo/CT-4000/

A computer in a greenhouse would have a very short life span. I keep my greenhouse at 95 to 99% humidity with misters and swamp coolers. A unit designed for greenhouse use would be a necessity and this one is such.

BC